A few pre purchase questions.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Brocko

A few pre purchase questions.

Post by Brocko »

Hey fellas first time poster, long time reader.
Thought I would sign up as im about to take the plunge and buy my first lever gun. The gun is an octagonal barrel 24 inch model that has had the safety removed. It doesn't have any barrel bands and the only markings on the gun is a rossi on the upper tang. Serial number is AM060***. Sorry i have done alot of search but couldnt find any info on the AM prefix. Just wondering if you could tell me whether this gun would be a good buy. Was it an interarms, lsi, navy arms or braztech? Pre or post CNC? Im buying the gun online also but have spoken to the dealer who thinks it good. Apparently unfired.

Any info you could give me would be great.

Cheers from Aus. Brock.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A few pre purchase questions.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Brock and welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question directly. I don't think the first two digits of the serial number are particularly important as they seem to be all over the map and I've never been able to make figure out any code associated with them.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I've bought & sold quite a few Rossi leverguns over the span of 30+ years.
A Rossi levergun with no barrel bands & post safety (you said the safety was removed) :?: .......you've definitely got me stumped.
Too bad there wasn't a picture of the thing handy.
Amadeo Rossi made leverguns on a contract basis for so many different companies over the years.......Interarms, Navy Arms, LSI (PUMA) and they varied in quality & aesthetic features depending on what level of the marketplace the particular company wanted to target. The Navy Arms guns were probably the apex Rossi leverguns and were absolutely beautiful with real walnut and superb w/m finish & workmanship & of course the price reflected those superior attributes.
Is the wood real walnut or mystery wood?
Was the gun a special version made with no barrel bands or are the barrel bands just missing?
Hard to tell those things from a distance without inspecting the gun. :?:
AM - Amadeo?......maybe?
Sorry I can't be of more help. I feel like a dunce :oops: ......should know this. :cry:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
45LC92

Post by 45LC92 »

pricedo wrote:I've bought & sold quite a few Rossi leverguns over the span of 30+ years.
A Rossi levergun with no barrel bands & post safety (you said the safety was removed) :?: .......you've definitely got me stumped.

Was the gun a special version made with no barrel bands or are the barrel bands just missing?

A 20" or 24" octagon barrel would have no barrel bands, correct?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

the octagon barrel has no band just forearm cap. my 92 20" round barrel does. if they ever made a no band cap for round barrel I have not seen one yet or at least do not remember.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

45LC92 wrote:
pricedo wrote:I've bought & sold quite a few Rossi leverguns over the span of 30+ years.

A 20" or 24" octagon barrel would have no barrel bands, correct?
Correctamundo !
Sorry, my mind was locked on round barrel models because I was never into the heavy for caliber octagonal barreled rifles.

Had a Chiappa 1886 repro with a 26" octagonal barrel and dumped it quick.....the gun was beautiful, slick & accurate but too %^#@@**&^ heavy to lug thru the woods all day @ 9+ pounds. And at my place if a gun doesn't hunt it is gone.

I'm a guy that prefers light for firepower/caliber leverguns........speaking of which I just acquired a Miroku Winchester model 1886 Extra Light grade 1 in 45-70 with a 22" barrel that weighs in at slightly over 7 pounds along with 2 boxes of 430 grain hc lead (minus 3 rounds) + 2 boxes of 500 grain FMJ-FN Buffalo Bore ammo I got cheap that was returned to the store by a previous owner who found that his Guide Gun was just a bit to sassy to handle when firing the stuff.

I only own one octagonal barreled rifle .....a Chiappa model 92 in 44 Mag.

I would be very interested in the specs of your rifle if you are successful in identifying it. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Brocko

Post by Brocko »

Hey guys.
Yes the rifle apparently has had the safety removed. And yes it does have the foreend cap. Not sure about the timber but it does look pretty nice in the one photo I have. Hopefully I can get some more. This is the only photo I have at the moment. Cheers Brock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Looks good !
I'd buy it as a winter doldrum chasing project if the price was right.
I've never chopped a gun with an octagonal barrel before & it would pleasure me greatly to chop 6" off that 24" culvert pipe so I could take it hunting without adding an axle and wheels.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Looks like the safety may have been removed to allow the peep installation. Needs a rear dovetail filler but otherwise a nice rifle.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver