Hammer spring vs Trigger spring....the relationship...

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Sosoomi

Hammer spring vs Trigger spring....the relationship...

Post by Sosoomi »

So I have done four Gunslinger Spring installs... Two .357's and two .44 mags....

Three out of four went brilliantly .... I could not be happier...

The last on my 16" SS 92 44 mag has been a b...tch....

But I am enjoying it....so here's the deal...

With the Gunslinger kit in... I got about 15 rounds out and then the trigger pretty much locked back and did not return.... The pull before this was about 8 oz.... I knew something was wrong but what?

Came home..disassembled it and nothing seemed out of place except it looked liked the hammer spring had worked its way in side the little block on the lower tang...

I should mention here that prior to the trigger not returning I had a number of light strikes and the primer did not ignite!

So out with Gunslinger and in with the Steves Gunz method.... Dremel down the trigger spring to 50% ...clip two coils off the hammer spring and head back to the range... By the way... This gave me a 1.75 lb trigger pull....

Wow... This is great... About another 15 rounds down range and by crackey... Light primer strikes and no boom...

So home I go...replace the hammer spring with the longest factory spring I have left... Leave the 50% trigger spring in...reassemble ... And .... Crappy hammer strike..... Ok fine...

Pull it apart again and this time out in the original factory trigger spring .... Well the hammer strike sounds and feels good but the trigger is just awful.... Going from open lever to closed... The transition is rough....

The ejector spring works fine... Haha... Small blessings!

So what are your thoughts... Honestly I don't understand the relationship between hammer and trigger springs so please school me...

Cheers......
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hammer spring vs Trigger spring....the relationship...

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sosoomi wrote:So what are your thoughts... Honestly I don't understand the relationship between hammer and trigger springs so please school me...
Interesting events with the changes in the two springs. Interesting question as well and hope the others will share their knowledge.
Michael
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Update....

I talked to Rowdy at Lee Gunslinger Springs..... One of the things he suggested was the stock might be affecting/putting pressure on the tangs.... I had a close look at that... Everything measured up fine but noticed some marking on the inside of the stock...looked like the hammer strut and spring was barely touching the wood.... I took my dremel and removed enough material so there was clearance.

I also thought the strut itself was a little tight to the bottom tang so I bent it ever so slightly to give a little more clearance...

The result was good..... Action is smooth...trigger pull is 2 ½ lbs...good hammer strike..

Now, I have "fixed" this problem three times now...:-) so I will hold off until my next range outting... I am keeping my fingers crossed.... FYI... I have replaced the ejector spring but am running with stock hammer and trigger spring......
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the update. This actually gave me an idea that might helped me with an issue I experienced with a Single Shot today. My 7.62x39 has been shooting fine and I purchased a slide on cartridge carrier for the butt stock to prep it for hunting. I took the butt stock off as it is easier to work the elastic carrier on over the grip rather that the butt end of the stock. At my range session today, I experienced light primer strikes. That Butt Stock Bolt passes through aft end of the receiver and can interfere with the clockworks if it goes a thread or two too deep. I might need a another washer on the bolt to prevent that.
Michael
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Well back from the range..... Put about 30-40 rounds down range with nary a hiccup.....

Problem resolved.... Now, time for the leatherwork and take some of the sting out the recoil....

I love these 92's!

+guns
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks for the update. This actually gave me an idea that might helped me with an issue I experienced with a Single Shot today. My 7.62x39 has been shooting fine and I purchased a slide on cartridge carrier for the butt stock to prep it for hunting. I took the butt stock off as it is easier to work the elastic carrier on over the grip rather that the butt end of the stock. At my range session today, I experienced light primer strikes. That Butt Stock Bolt passes through aft end of the receiver and can interfere with the clockworks if it goes a thread or two too deep. I might need a another washer on the bolt to prevent that.
What gun is running the 7.62? I bought my son a 50's vintage SKS and I am impressed with the function....we have run about 300 rounds thru it and not a hint of trouble...accurate...hits hard... A pleasure to shoot....utterly reliable!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sosoomi wrote:What gun is running the 7.62? I bought my son a 50's vintage SKS and I am impressed with the function....we have run about 300 rounds thru it and not a hint of trouble...accurate...hits hard... A pleasure to shoot....utterly reliable!
Me too! I have a Rossi Single Shot R762MB and a Savage 10 FCM Scout. I haven't posted anything about the Rossi, pictures or text, just haven't had the time. I spent several hours reloading and shooting with it today, I'm trying to find a high performance load using my 32-20 Win bullet, the TLC313-115-RF. I hope to use it as I wait on a dedicated 7.62x39 bullet. This bullet is too short to feed from magazine to chamber in the Scout.
Michael