model 92 octagon barrel - front dovetail fit Lyman Globe sig

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
HikerLT

model 92 octagon barrel - front dovetail fit Lyman Globe sig

Post by HikerLT »

I have a new Rosdsi model 92 in 357 mag -> my first Rossi

2 Questions :

1) the rear sight is missing the "ramp piece" that fits into the center slot of the rear sight, to set the rear sight elevation. Where can I find a place to purchase this part - the Rossi website doesn't seem to offer parts for sale...

2) I want to put a Globe front sight on

Will the Lyman Globe Front Target Sight #17AHB .404" Height 3/8" Dovetail fit the Rossi front sight dovetail ?

Thanks for any help and advice !

LT
Conman

Re: model 92 octagon barrel - front dovetail fit Lyman Globe

Post by Conman »

LT, welcome and congrats on the new toy.

The "ramp" you are missing is called "rear sight elevator".

You can find them on about any web site that carries rifle parts should have at least one. There are various designs but any of them will fit to raise/lower your rear sight.

If you have to buy one look at gunpartscorp dot com and then winchester model 92....they list 4 different models........

I betcha someone here has an extra laying on the work bench and would send one to you. I gave away the last two extras I had last year.

I know nothing about globe front sights.

Luckl
silvertip

Post by silvertip »

Here is a quote from an answer on Rossi dovetail cuts from the FAQ's at Steve's Gunz. This quote is in answer to a question on Rossi dovetail cuts being too large.

"The current Rossi's have standard 3/8X60 degree cuts but they still don't spend a lot of time fitting the sights. If the dovetail cut in the barrel is too big it's because they hammered the Rossi sights in and swedged the dovetails out. Look at the dovetail from the side and you will see the metal is pushed up. Now, you need to do some Gunsmithing to grow some metal. Start by pushing the tops of the dovetail down with a flat face punch and hammer gently work across the dovetail . The new sight will cover these marks. Stippling the bottom of the sight works too, but worst case you may need to shim under the new sight. NOTE: Whatever you do resist the urge to stipple the bottom of the dovetail in the barrel if it's a big bore like a 44 or 45 cal. If you get carried away you can actually damage the bore. On a side note, I've seen Rossi's that had tight spots in the bore because Rossi forced the poorly fitted sights in."

The 3/8" dovetailed globe sights should fit the Rossi cut, but you may have to help it some. According to Steve's Gunz you might have to work on the tops of the dovetail cut to push the edges down somewhat. I did this on my rear sight cut on my R92. Originally when I removed the rear sight, the replacement sight blank just dropped on through. After some judicious tapping of the cut edges with a flat faced punch the blank snugged right in and stayed. Again, you should be able to get your globe sight to fit just fine.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

I mounted a Lyman 17 on my octagon barreled .357. It was a bit loose so I did exactly what silvertip describes. I used the shortest 17 available as suggested here by another member. I also put a Marbles tang sight on it. I'm very pleased with the combination.