I kinda, sorta feel like a traitor.

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Augustus

I kinda, sorta feel like a traitor.

Post by Augustus »

Today, I went up to my favorite gun shop, and bought a brand new Henry Big Boy 45 LC. 20" BBL

I thought for sure I would have gotten a Rossi first. I hope you fellers don't feel poorly towards me. :(
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I kinda, sorta feel like a traitor.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Augustus wrote:Today, I went up to my favorite gun shop, and bought a brand new Henry Big Boy 45 LC. 20" BBL

I thought for sure I would have gotten a Rossi first. I hope you fellers don't feel poorly towards me. :(
Hey, it is all good. I just bought a bolt action rifle! Pictures?
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Not at all. I have been looking at them. And you can get most of the parts easily.

We need a report.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Some years ago I was looking for a lever flipper that would cycle 44 Russian reliably.
Only one factory would respond to my inquires. That particular company's CEO wrote me and asked where he could order some 44 Russian to find out if his 44 mag lever rifle would cycle the short 44 Russian.
Two weeks later that CEO wrote back stating upon receiving the 2 boxes of 44 Russian ammo he went into the shipping area, pulled a rifle off the rack and proceeded to test it. He wrote it worked flawlessly and gave acceptable accuracy.
So my opinion of Henry lever rifles went up 100% . Maybe a little on the heavier side but they work.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

nice find keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Go with what works for you..... In this day and age any gun is a good investment. My portfolio is 50/50 beans and bullets....... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Augustus

Post by Augustus »

Thank you, Gents. I had never held a Henry Rifle my entire life. Just heard about them though, and never heard a bad word either. Here's a photo of her, courtesy of Henry Rifles.

Now, I'm setting my sights on a Uberti 1875 Remington Army Outlaw revolver in 45 Long colt.

+guns
calan

Post by calan »

My only complaint against the Henry is the lack of a side loading port, which has turned me away from several of them. Why/how they can not offer that simple convenience is beyond me.

Other than that, they are fine rifles from what I've seen.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Augustus wrote: Image
I saw a Henry rifle identical in appearance to the above in 44 Mag a coupla years ago in a shop and was awed by the beauty of the thing but when I hefted the 8+ pounds of it (I checked for wheels and a tow rope in the box but didn't find them) and turned over the hanging price tag the luv affair was over.
In short.........way too heavy & way too expensive.

But it was beautiful to look at and the action was smooth as silk.
Whittle 2 pounds off the weight and $300 off the price and I'd definitely be inteested.

I carry my gun loaded when hunting so the absence of a receiver loading port is no big deal.
If you can't hit em with a half-dozen+ shots the problem isn't with the gun. :roll:

On a bright sunny day every buck within a mile of you would know you were in the woods if you were packing that shiny brass Henry. I prefer plain-jane walnut & blue guns that are a little less conspicuous for hunting smart whitetail bucks.

Not for me but everybody to their own.......ENJOY ! :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Loading them through the tube is starting to grow on me as a good or at least interesting idea. I've deformed bullets on the loading gate and it's never fun to pinch a finger tip in that trap door. And out hunting if you need to download for any reason then it's easy to just pull the tube and dump them into your hand. So you have a rifle that seems like it would be beyond cast bullet friendly that is super quick to load and unload. Last, I've used a rimfire tube style speed loader where you load it up fisrt at the house and then dump them from it at the range. No such beast for an 1892. Not sure I would ever want/need such a tool but still it's an option the design does have.