New '92, first bang

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New '92, first bang

Post by Ranch Dog »

I used a 50/50 cut BC Walnut Stain and water on my R92 454 Casull Scout. Its not bad looking at all. Everyone that handles it is quite impressed with the finish and the rifle overall.

Michael
calan

Post by calan »

Just as I suspected, my stock and forearm are made from completely different woods. It really showed up once I started staining them.

Besides the obvious difference in grain, the forearm is much more red in color, while the stock came out more of a dull brown. The picture doesn't show it, but it is glaringly obvious.

Now what?

Even if I can use multiple coats/shades of stain to get the colors close, I'm still stuck with obviously different grain structures.

I wonder if I could strategically drag some 50 grit over the stock to create wide long "grain" like the forearm, and then hit it again with stain or a thin black wash. I guess I could also take a sea sponge to them and just start blotting random color.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

or torch it to add some color from char someone here just did this I think tuco could give you the flavor you want.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
calan

Post by calan »

Anyone have a technique for creating decent looking faux burl?
calan

Post by calan »

akuser47 wrote:or torch it
I'd love to. :)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I'm have not a clue how to do this but I think I'm gonna do it to a romy ak stock set to see what it looks like.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

It's easy to to fake wood grain with the stain. Using a thin edge foam brush is the easiest- while the last coat is a little tacky, dip the brush in stain and use a streaking motion to 'draw' on the wood grain. You have to go from one end to the other without stopping. Once you have the technique down you can make some nice looking wood grain. On other projects I've even drawn in knotholes for effect.