Loose tube, bent screw

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
dillydallyho

Loose tube, bent screw

Post by dillydallyho »

Hello everybody,

I have a SS 45-70 Rio Grande and the first couple times I shot it, I couldn't keep the tube on. I took it apart and when I went to put it back together, I noticed screw #36, the forearm tip screw, is all bent up. I can't get it to thread into the forearm tip on the far side. I'm really not sure how I bent it up but I was wondering if you guys had any insight.

How do I get a new screw? Is that why the tube was shooting loose? What do I need to do for sure to keep that thing on there?

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Loose tube, bent screw

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I don't have a parts diagram in front of me but I will assume you are talking about the forearm band screw. Was this screw bent when you took it out? Pic's would be helpful to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dillydallyho wrote:I have a SS 45-70 Rio Grande and the first couple times I shot it, I couldn't keep the tube on.
Typically, magazine tube security is related to the Magazine Ring Screw (47) and the Magazine Plug Screw (34). The security of these screw, and all the others, need to be verified on a continuous basis.
dillydallyho wrote:I took it apart and when I went to put it back together, I noticed screw #36, the forearm tip screw, is all bent up. I can't get it to thread into the forearm tip on the far side. I'm really not sure how I bent it up but I was wondering if you guys had any insight.
Is it physically bent? In other words, can you see the bend? If so, you will need to get a new screw from Braztech. If you assume it is bent because you cannot get it to thread into the Forearm Tip, it isn't, the issue is related to the amount of relief cut into the bottom of the barrel. Typically, this is not an issue with the Rio Grande but it is a huge issue with the R92 and there are a number of posts in that forum dealing with the issue.
dillydallyho wrote:How do I get a new screw? Is that why the tube was shooting loose? What do I need to do for sure to keep that thing on there?
You will need to call Braztech for a replacement. While you are at it, this is a list of spares that I suggest for any Rio Grande. I also keep the same parts for my Marlins as I have broken, damaged, or lost them at some time over the course of my life. I don't like to wait for parts so I keep them at the bench. Sooner or later, you will need them.
  • 23 - Ejector
  • 34 - Magazine Plug Screw
  • 36 - Forearm Tip Screw
  • 47 - Magazine Ring Screw
  • 52 - Finger Lever Plunger Pin
  • 58- Ejector Spring
  • 69 - Extractor
dillydallyho wrote:How do I get a new screw? Is that why the tube was shooting loose? What do I need to do for sure to keep that thing on there?
You will need to call Braztech Customer Service to get a new one. While you are at it by some others. I would recommend just check the screws on the rifle on a continuing basis rather than securing them with Loctite or other similar product. This is a light rifle with heavy recoil, things need to be checked.
Michael
dillydallyho

Post by dillydallyho »

Thanks for the help. I got out the camera and that brought up a couple more questions.

This photo has the screw. I can see a slight bend in it, and I'm not sure it comes through in the pictures. It's one of those things that is more obvious if you can roll it around.

This photo is where the screw goes. RD, I think you understood the screw I meant.

This photo is the magazine tube. It's all clawed up as if a tiny cat had gotten hold of it while someone was trying to put it in a bathtub. It's the result of the tube being pushed across the threads of the magazine ring screw (47). There is a similar, though less pronounced mark on the middle of the length of the tube from the aforementioned screw. The relief cut into the barrel for this purpose doesn't look bad to me, but I have no idea whether I'd be able to see it by eye or not.

I wanted to know if I need to be worried about those scratches. Will it prevent the tube from being retained as well? I guess it's kind of ugly, but it's on an inner surface when the gun is assembled so as long as they don't hinder me from keeping the tube on, they don't bother me much.

Thanks again everyone.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Hey now that last picture looks familiar.

And BTY, I like the middle pic too. Reminds me of my loading bench. Cluttered with everything I need right now, and needed yesterday, and just might need tomorrow +guns
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Usually this problem is caused by a loose magazine plug screw, you know the one that. Pushes up on the bottom of the barrel. My 44 did it within a thousand rounds
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Whew! Looks like recoil damage to me. Tell us a bit about the ammo you been shooting.
Michael
dillydallyho

Post by dillydallyho »

It's been a while since I was shooting this stuff, but the load data I was using was 46.0-49.5 gr imr4064 under a 405gr cast bullet. I don't remember the exact charge but I know I didn't approach the maximum.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dillydallyho wrote:It's been a while since I was shooting this stuff, but the load data I was using was 46.0-49.5 gr imr4064 under a 405gr cast bullet. I don't remember the exact charge but I know I didn't approach the maximum.
The upper end of that only approaches 31.0K PSI is my guess. Maybe the screws were loose and the recoil just beat it up? Are the holes through the magazine tube and magazine tube cap elongated or is it just the picture? If the tube and cap are fine, I would say get the screws, tighten things down and go back to shooting. If the tube and cap are buggered up, I would think it time to have the gun looked at as something bad went boom. With the loads of IMR 4064 you mentioned, there is no chance of a double charge as they are as near to a full case as you can get. I am really racking my brain trying to figure out what might have caused this, maybe others will chime in.

Some things, like headspace, are very difficult to check. Most leverguns will swallow the go/no go gauges so they don't work. It would take someone very versed it this work to check this type of thing out. Most gunsmiths are AR mechanics now and I would not trust them with a levergun.
Michael
dillydallyho

Post by dillydallyho »

Ranch Dog wrote:Maybe the screws were loose and the recoil just beat it up? Are the holes through the magazine tube and magazine tube cap elongated or is it just the picture? If the tube and cap are fine, I would say get the screws, tighten things down and go back to shooting.
\

The holes look to be round. The only damage I see is the scratch marks and the slight bend on that one screw. I guess that's what I'll do.

Do you have any idea how I bent it all up? Was it the loose tube that bent the barrel band screw?