Savage 10 FCM Scout

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
geartow

Re: Savage 10 FCM Scout

Post by geartow »

where do you get a "hood" for the front sight?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The sights are Williams so you can purchase the parts, peep apertures, etc., through a number of sources. Here is the Williams Hood at MidwayUSA.
Michael
Chris

Post by Chris »

It looks darn good. They have a hog hunter here at a local shop, it is threaded for a can or a flash suppressor. Not a big fan of that. I like the scout though. Keep us posted on this.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is pretty much what it boils down to...

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Congrats on yet another hog. :D

You got me thinking about Savage rifles and I'm going to be taking my Savage model 11 FCNS in 308 Win with me as a back-up gun for deer hunting this fall.

I take one primary rifle (Winchester model 100 in 308 Win) & 2 back-up rifles (Browning BLR in 308 Win, Savage FCNS in 308 Win) in case of mechanical failure as Murphy's Law varies with the square of the distance you are from home. Had 2 rifles screw up on me in one trip a few years ago & wound up taking my deer with a 12 gauge slug from my bird gun which luckily was still behind my PUs seat. Ever since that year I leave nothing to chance. I really like the 308 Winchester caliber because of its accuracy & versatility and you can get a box of 08s anywhere. The 308 round is short & fat & was designed to function in autoloading actions & won't "stovepipe" like a lot of the other longer for diameter cartridges.

My Savage model 11 FCNS in 308 Win is superbly accurate with the Federal factory 165 grain "Triple Shock" ammo & has both the Accutrigger & Accustock. The Accutrigger is a superb trigger.

As I said before you've got it made in the shade living on that Texas ranch with hunting opportunities all year round. :mrgreen:
Last edited by pricedo on 12 Nov 2013 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Congrats on yet another hog. :D
Thanks!
pricedo wrote:My Savage model 11 FCNS in 308 Win is superbly accurate with the Federal factory 165 grain "Triple Shock" ammo & has both the Accutrigger & Accustock.
No doubt Savage has got it going on! I do wish that the 7.62x39 had been available in a lower cost model. Most people are attracted to this cartridge because of its low cost but yet the bolt rifles available in the chambering tend to be the higher priced models. Haven't figured that out yet.
pricedo wrote:As I said before you've got it made in the shade living on that Texas ranch with hunting opportunities all year round. :mrgreen:
Yeap, no doubt about it I do. I'm very thankful for my environment and work hard to keep it like it should be kept.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I had (gone now) 2 rifles in 7.62 x 39.......a Ruger mini-30 & a Polish made SKS.

Both rifles were great paper punchers and weekend noise makers but considering that I had a dozen 308 Win caliber rifles that would out perform the feeble Kalashnikov round in just about every respect they never went on serious hunts.

My 08s are equally at home in deer, hog, elk & moose country whereas the x 39 was at best a marginal deer round if you could find decent bullets to handload. Those FMJ Chinese rounds are great for punching paper but shouldn't be used on game & the steel cases can't be reloaded.

My Savage model 11 FCNS has a MINOX 2-10x42mm scope ($549) on it. MINOX is Leicas cheapskate side brand. Have a real Leica (paid $1800 several years ago) on a Sako 85 in 7mm Rem Mag and will be darned if I can see a difference looking through the two of them that would warrant a 3X cost factor.

Have an old Savage bolt in 270 Winchester without the Accutrigger and am happy I paid the extra bucks for the superb Accutrigger in my model 11 FCNS. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Actually I'm in a ground blind right now on Manitoulin Island in Ontario , Canada with my FCNS Savage model 11 in 308 Winchester.
Yesterday was the first day of a 5 deer gun whitetail deer season and it was a terrible day with high winds and blowing hail.
Rattled & called what I reckon was a 6-point buck to the tree line but it hung up behind a clump of dogwood switches and wouldn't expose itself so seeing as I had a good profile I chanced the shot and the bullet was deflected by the switches (one of the disadvantages of a ground blind compared to a tree stand).
Walked over to the spot where the buck had been standing and saw no blood sign so I assume the animal was uninjured. Hopefully a bigger buck will show up today & that will repair the dent in my wounded ego. :oops:
Like they say "s**t happens".
Nobody's perfect.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

What the heck RD...... I get transferred to the night shift and am not sure if I should be up or sleeping and you pop another hog? Guess you are loving that rifle.... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:What the heck RD...... I get transferred to the night shift and am not sure if I should be up or sleeping and you pop another hog? Guess you are loving that rifle.... :lol:
And there's every reason why he should be loving that rifle.
Those Savage rifles are the most bang for the buck of any brand I know.
They're dead on accurate and I can't speak with knowledge about Savage customer service because the Savage firearms I have owned (I currently own 3) have never given me anything but excellent performance & service.
That Savage rifle of RDs will be killing hogs for a very long time.
RD and that rifle are a deadly combination from the hog perspective.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA