The Wizard Takes One Down!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Wizard Takes One Down!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Had only been in about an hour, woke up to take care of a need. I always look outside and there was a very large sounder of large hogs moving across my yard about 60 through 80 yards out. I slipped on some shorts, grabbed the Wizard 44 Mag which was by the back door and was outside in a few seconds into a driving rain. The sheets of rain was forming a gray background to their dark bodies, I tucked the crosshairs into underarm of a large sow at 65-yards and pulled the trigger. I heard my 275-grain bullet slam into her and I lost sight of her. I went back in and got a light and found her about 6 yards from where I shot her. The "W" was true, right through the heart.

I drug her up under my carport, my dad cuts through it in the dark every morning in his golf cart to go out to the highway to get his newspaper. I figured it would be a good surprise for the old fellow!

It also surprises my wife that I can go from a sleep walk to a shot out, in the dark at a pretty good distance, in about 90 seconds. I just tell her it would be a heck of a lot quicker if they were trying to get inside ;)

I don't know what they do to these little Bushnell Banner scope tubes and lenses but to go from a very low humidity conditioned house to standing in sheets of rain and get a shot off without any issue is some good stuff. They really make a great product.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: The Wizard Takes One Down!

Post by pricedo »

Congrats on the fresh bacon.
Don't own a Wizard but gotta agree that the Bushnell scopes are a lot of scope for the money.
I own at least a dozen Bushnell scopes.
Bushnell made a marketing error a few years ago.
Back in the old Bausch & Lomb days Bushnell used to be B&Ls cheap line of scopes.........that idea of Bushnell being a "cheap scope" persisted & procreated in the minds of consumers over the years.
We've all seen Bushnell scopes & Rossi rifles derided as "junk" products on gun forums over the years by people who have never owned either and were just parroting popular misconceptions.
They should have called themselves Bausch & Lomb (a nice German name that projects quality like Schmidt & Bender & Zeiss) and the attitude would have been different as they make an excellent product. I have several Bushnell binoculars and they are quite good as well. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:Congrats on the fresh bacon.
Don't own a Wizard but gotta agree that the Bushnell scopes are a lot of scope for the money.
Back in the old Bausch & Lomb days Bushnell used to be B&Ls cheap line of scopes.........that idea of Bushnell being a "cheap scope" persisted & procreated in the minds of consumers over the years.
We've all seen Bushnell scopes & Rossi rifles derided as "junk" products on gun forums over the years by people who have never owned either and were just parroting popular misconceptions.
They should have called themselves Bausch & Lomb (a nice German name that projects quality like Schmidt & Bender & Zeiss) and the attitude would have been different as they make an excellent product. I have several Bushnell binoculars and they are quite good as well. :mrgreen:
I thank RD for suggesting a 1.5-4.5x32 Bushnell Banner to me for my Rossi 45-70. Love the scope and had held up well on the gun and now easy for me to adjust which I had doubts about, this being the first scope I've ever owned. I even added a 4x32 to my Gamo Pellet gun and it also works great.
Joe
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Nice shootin! How do you decide which rifle you're going to keep at the ready? Does the Bushnell Banner have "rainguard" like the elite series?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Nice shooting RD!!!!

That will be some tasty eating as well. Wizard (1) Hogs (0).
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Nice shootin! How do you decide which rifle you're going to keep at the ready? Does the Bushnell Banner have "rainguard" like the elite series?
Thanks, no special order on the rifles. Just whichever asks the nicest. The Banner series does not claim the RainGuard" coating. Just multi-coated lenses, 100% waterproof/fogproof construction, and dry-nitrogen filled.
Tuco Ramirez wrote:Nice shooting RD!!!!

That will be some tasty eating as well. Wizard (1) Hogs (0).
Thanks, yes it does!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Most of my Bushnell scopes are about half a dozen Trophy models with the deer antler on one setting cap + 4 Elite 4200s 2.5-10x40mm + 1 Elite 6500 2.5-16x42mm on a T/C Icon 300 Win Mag.
I have 2 older 2.5-8x40mm ScopeChief IV with the magnetic Command Post feature........a thicker vertical reticule post that moves up and down by turning a ring adjacent the ocular lens for better visibility in low light situations.
They all have crystal clear optics and accurate adjustments.
I could very well mount one or more of the still very usable ScopeChiefs on new Wizard rifles........when that happens depends entirely on Braztech. :|
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:
pricedo wrote:Congrats on the fresh bacon.
I thank RD for suggesting a 1.5-4.5x32 Bushnell Banner to me for my Rossi 45-70. Love the scope and had held up well on the gun and now easy for me to adjust which I had doubts about, this being the first scope I've ever owned. I even added a 4x32 to my Gamo Pellet gun and it also works great.
Picked up another Winchester model 100 (308 Win) yesterday cheap that some &*($##@*^ :x had adulterated with a recoil pad (you coulda lit a cigarette off my forehead :twisted: when I saw that sissy pad on that beautiful original Winchester walnut stock) that I'm going to "chop" & make a 19" bbl carbine out of now that it has been altered.

Cutting the stock on an original Winchester model 100 to put a recoil pad on a rifle that kicks like my nephews water pistol .......WOW ! :shock: (the guy should quit hunting & take up knitting with the old crones at the old age home :roll: ).

But to get back on track the gun came with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40mm scope on top.
Now I've got a real honest to goodness Bushnell Banner scope to put on a new Rossi Wizard.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning and well done Mike !
Has to be a well civilised pig population to be roaming backyards like that. Maybe you need to stop watering the cactus. Whatever the reason.. sure beats having to drag that walking meat locker across the flats.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Excellent job under less than desirable conditions. However, I am struggling with the mental image of Mike in his shorts, bed hair (?), in a driving rain, hog hunting in the yard in the wee hours.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver