Ballistol?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Johnz

Ballistol?

Post by Johnz »

Lately, there seems to be a lot of controversy about using this lubricant on firearms. I discovered it about a year ago & use it on many applications on my firearms but have some misgivings about it after reading what some shooters are saying.

Do any of you have any solid reasons for not using it :?:

After the recent field stripping of my new .357 blued 92, I used it exclusively during reassembly.
Lostcoast

Re: Ballistol?

Post by Lostcoast »

I have used Ballistol for lubrication inside of firearms but now use EWL Slip 2000 inside and out. EWL has great lube properties and has also been tested and proven as a rust-preventative for the outside of the firearm. I am not aware of any particular warnings about not using Ballistol inside of a firearm, but I think there are better products available. Better, as in a noticeable increase in the slickness of the action after applying Slip 2000.

I use Ballistol as a light-duty cleaner for the bore and actions of my guns, and then follow that with the Slip for lube and rust prevention.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I don't use it with when I clean after using smokeless powders but do when shooting black powder. I mix some with water as suggested for cleaning black powder guns then follow it with straight Ballistol. With smokeless I use CLP mostly as a lube after cleaning using Hoppes #9 in the barrel/breach areas. I also use Tetra grease in some areas for lube also with both methods.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:I don't use it with when I clean after using smokeless powders but do when shooting black powder. I mix some with water as suggested for cleaning black powder guns then follow it with straight Ballistol. With smokeless I use CLP mostly as a lube after cleaning using Hoppes #9 in the barrel/breach areas. I also use Tetra grease in some areas for lube also with both methods.
In that I'm going to give this muzzleloading thing a try, good info.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:I don't use it with when I clean after using smokeless powders but do when shooting black powder. I mix some with water as suggested for cleaning black powder guns then follow it with straight Ballistol. With smokeless I use CLP mostly as a lube after cleaning using Hoppes #9 in the barrel/breach areas. I also use Tetra grease in some areas for lube also with both methods.
In that I'm going to give this muzzleloading thing a try, good info.
The difference with black powder and smokeless is BP leaves a salt residue behind that petroleum based products won't touch. If not washed away it will cause rust in short order on all metals. The thing that does remove it fast is fresh water, or soap and water or Ballistol/Water solution. In my opinion the ballistol/water solution works best as it also lubes as it works. I simply wet a few patches with the solution and swab the barrel until it comes clean then a patch with the straight Ballistol. I've shot BP through 3 45 Colt revolvers, my R92 and Rio Grande with the revolvers and 92 now for going on 3 years with no rust etc. I also check them about 3 days to make sure which has never shown to have any rust at all. Some other products that also work are Simple Green and one of the Windex product with out ammonia though I've never used it. Water/Dawn dish washing liquid also works well for me. However with those I have to us another oil based product. I've also made up a batch of equal parts of Murphy's Soap, Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide which also works similar to the Balistol.
Joe
techiej

Post by techiej »

I've been using Ballistol for all of my firearms (except spots that need grease for which I use Tetra) and have been pleased with it.

This includes 22lr's, Glocks, Shotguns, Garand, R92 (357), Desert Eagle, etc.

What I like about it is that it is non-toxic and doesn't affect finishes or stocks. I would probably use something else if the firearm was going to be stored for an extended period of time without use...but that doesn't happen in our household.