Cartridge Stop

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Johnz

Cartridge Stop

Post by Johnz »

Is the Cartridge Stop that is hinged off the front of the left Cartridge Guide supposed to move freely?

The leaf spring that is mounted between the receiver and the left Cartridge Guide is shown in the owner's manual diagram as being mounted with the curve away from the receiver as opposed to towards it.

I would think that the leaf spring should be installed with the curve inward in order to effect the Cartridge Stop. Doesn't seem like the spring effects anything with it installed the way the owner's manual shows.

Anyone know anything about how the spring is supposed to be installed?
kokopelli

Re: Cartridge Stop

Post by kokopelli »

It is supposed to curve inward, toward the chamber, away from the outside of the receiver... And the end should be on top of the hinged part, not down in the seam.
Does that make sense?
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

If you're saying that the bow or "curve" goes inward then that's the way the owner's manual shows. In that position, what does that spring do? Doesn't look like it has any effect at all on the Cartridge Stop that hinges off of the left Cartridge Guide which, to my thinking, would be the only reason to have a spring in there in the 1st place. What does that spring do?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Prior to installation, this is the orientation of the parts.
gs13.jpg
As long as the spring remains under tension, it will stay in the correct position. In order to maintain the spring tension, I lower it into the receiver with forceps and then run a small diameter punch through the the holes in the side of the receiver and the guide.
gs14.jpg
At this point, with the punch through it, the spring is not going anywhere so I let the forcep pressure go and then slide it along the punch with my finger into the inlet on the inside of the receiver and install the screw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

After carefully examining the mechanics of the Cartridge Stop & how it interacts with the bolt, & then seeing your pics, I realized that I re-installed the spring on mine wrong. Instead of placing the blunt end in front of the hinge, I placed it between the receiver and the left Cartridge Guide.

Thanks for the help & the pics. I knew this site would be beneficial. :mrgreen:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Johnz wrote:Thanks for the help & the pics. I knew this site would be beneficial. :mrgreen:
Always glad to be a help!
Michael