rossi chewing up brass

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jalex1941

rossi chewing up brass

Post by jalex1941 »

Hello, I just purchased a rossi 92 carbine in 38/357 to pursue cowboy action shooting but the problem I am having is that the gun is chewing up the rim of my brass, ive already taken the rifle apart and removed all the burrs in the rifle; so does anyone know how I can fix this ?
I am currently shooting .38 and have not tried .357 yet.

Also on a side note, I am hoping to have some pictures of the rifle up tomorrow.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: rossi chewing up brass

Post by akuser47 »

Did you relieve your extracxtor at all like steves dvd shows it helped mine not bit so hard on my brass.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jalex1941

Post by jalex1941 »

I don't have Steve's dvd, so I am unsure of what to do. I prefer to work on my guns myself but since the rifle is brand new I may just send it to Rossi to fix the problem, since I don't have the 50 bucks for the dvd :/.
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

I just purchased my 92 a little over a week ago & have not yet fired it, but I have cycled a bunch of dummy rounds through it & noticed the same thing you're referring to.

Since I have completely stripped the gun down for initial cleaning I noticed that the extractor claw was razor sharp & concluded that it was causing the mutilation of the brass rims.

I removed the extractor claw and very lightly dressed the edge with a fine stone & now it works much better. Still has the needed edge to do the job but not so sharp that it shaves brass like before.
jalex1941

Post by jalex1941 »

well, I guess I will have to buy that dvd sooner rather than later... called Rossi and because my rifle was produced prior to Taurus buying Rossi they will not honor the warranty. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.
powhs

Post by powhs »

I polished the ejector and cut 1 1/2 coils off the spring. Stopped the scratches. Polish any other burrs while you have it open.
NRA-Life Member
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

If you've had the rifle apart, I suspect Rossi will charge you a lot more than $50 to "fix" it. Whether it works when you get it back from "fixing" is another topic
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
jalex1941

Post by jalex1941 »

Well, the warranty covers the rifle for any defect that is not cosmetic for one year to the date of purchase, so I shouldn't have to pay them anything other than shipping.
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Good luck :)

Steve now Free
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill