Greatest Cowboy Movie Ever Made

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Greatest Cowboy Movie Ever Made

Post by mr surveyor »

admittedly, I can relate well to "Blazing Saddles" .... especially the campfire "bean scene". Reminds me of my little group of shooting/fishing buddies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Mike.44 wrote:These are all great movies. I really liked The Sackett's........Louis L'Amour.

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly is my all-time favorite.

Your my new best friend.....lmao

+guns
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Mike.44

Post by Mike.44 »

Also, when talking about funny movies.....I thought Woody Harrelson was great in The Cowboy Way. And Jack Palance in City Slickers.
OldCrow

Post by OldCrow »

Well some of my choices are
The Lonesome Dove series
Quigley Down Under ( I know NOT an American western)
Dances with Wolves
Any Clint westerms Pale Rider, Unforgiven. Outlaw, all 3 Spagetti westerns, Hang em High
And a new one I found really accurate on the weapons used called Dead Man's Burden
Tom Selleck (and company) westerns
Not really westerns but still good Gettysburg..North and the South and The Blue and the Gray
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well if were goin there than history channels hatfields n mcoys is awesome as we and on netflix
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

For recent movies I have to go with "Open Range","Broken Trail" both Robert Duvall and the remake of "Monte Walsh" with Tom Selleck. Older movies ? Gosh where to begin? I love them all . Anything with Ben Johnson in it. Of course all the Clint Eastwood westerns. Not an easy choice but if I have to pick "Open Range" is my favorite cowboy movie. "Tombstone" wins out as most entertaining.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
Transport

Post by Transport »

I would have to say that both "Tombstone" and "Open Range" have a lot of great 'gun play' in them. Some of the classics are excellent also. MTCW.
Chuck
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

I like about all the westerns I've ever seen. I like Clint Eastwood's movies, in spite of some questionable gun handling! :mrgreen: I guess my favorite is the Outlaw Josie Wales. There are more good lines in that movie than any I have seen and I really liked old Chief George.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

I got to thinking about movies I had only on VHS and a couple I only had saved on my DVR so I went shopping on Amazon
Tom Selleck Western Collection (Monte Walsh / Last Stand at Saber River / Crossfire Trail)
Quigley Down Under
Broken Trial, Open Range and Tombstone are on the way. Thats a bunch of good cowboy pictures for less than fifty bucks.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

While the Sackett flicks are better than none they do not IMO hold a candle to the books.
Likewise just about any of the movies made from a Louis L'Amour book.
(It is vaguely possible that a Zane Grey book or two or maybe a William Hopson book was adopted and turned into a movie that approximated the book but I'd have to review them.)

The movie Beastmaster was supposidly based on a book by Andre Norton of the same name.
In reality they took the name from the book and the idea of a telepathic link to animals and ignored the story otherwise.
The movie quite frankly STUNK ON ICE. It was the basis for a TV series years later.

The BOOK (Beastmaster and the sequel Lord of Thunder) on the other hand however was pretty good SF. It was pretty close to a frontier planet with the human settlers being the cowboys (even though many of them had North American Indian bloodlines) and the native humanoids being the Indians. Think Serenity sort of technology levels without the Reevers (replace them with a couple alien races) and with the storyline mostly confined to a single planet.