Rossi Finish Removal II

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi Finish Removal II

Post by Ranch Dog »

It looks like your rifle is walnut color rather than the typical red, might just go over it.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: keep things Sesame Street Simple

Post by pricedo »

+1
By the looks of that stock rub the Tru-Oil on over the finish and buff it up in the morning.
If I got a rifle with a really light stock I'd put a coat of walnut color wood varnish on and let it dry and and then the linseed or Tru-Oil.
No need for a multi-phase 2 or 3 day chemical stripping, drying, finishing process with these guns.......just makes for a lot of fuss, mess and bother and the result isn't any better. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

I bought some Tru Oil today, I'm just going to start rubbing it in and see what happens. I'll let ya know.
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

I started with the Tru Oil and ArmorAll. My hands were orange after I got about 5 coats finished, from the Rossi 'stain' coming off. I'm going to let it dry at least overnight and then test it to see if it locked in the color so that water doesn't wipe it off, which was my motivation for doing anything to the wood anyway.

Now I'm contemplating giving it an 'antique' finish...removing some of the bluing, etc...distressing it. I like the look of the old, worn rifles.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

kokopelli wrote:I started with the Tru Oil and ArmorAll. My hands were orange after I got about 5 coats finished, from the Rossi 'stain' coming off. I'm going to let it dry at least overnight and then test it to see if it locked in the color so that water doesn't wipe it off, which was my motivation for doing anything to the wood anyway.

Now I'm contemplating giving it an 'antique' finish...removing some of the bluing, etc...distressing it. I like the look of the old, worn rifles.
I love the patina look of my old original Winchester rifles some of which are older than I am.
How you'd go about duplicating that legacy Winchester look in both metal & wood starting with a Rossi clone would be an interesting project.
Be very interested in your posted results.
Good luck ! :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
kokopelli

Post by kokopelli »

I've got it broken down, started on the stock refinsh and de-bluing. I soaked all the metal in white vinegar to remove the bluing instead of a bluing remover so it won't be 'uniform' and look more natural. An interesting observation was that the parts all varied in the time it took for the bluing to come off. The receiver's blueing virtually washed off right away, the barrel bands and butt plate didn't take long, but the barrel and the mag tube were blued very well- I ended up using a scouring pad with the vinegar to get it all off the barrel. Another note- the mag tube and barrel are very different steel alloys. The mag tube remained a dark grey color, the barrel a light grey. The metal now looks good, like an old antique cowboy era rifle. My Plum Brown just came in the mail today, so I'm going to start on that tomorrow. I also think now I'm going to 'round off' the forearm. I wasn't going to do any sanding on it or remove the Rossi ~stain (or shoe polish, whatever), but after thinking about it I want to make it look like the real '92's.
I'll get some pics up asap.