New here. New to me 92.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Zoti

New here. New to me 92.

Post by Zoti »

Hello everyone. Today I have acquired a beautiful Rossi R92 in 44 Mag. It's a stainless steel 20" barrel. Even got almost 140 rounds of ammo with it, a carrying case and a leather sling.

Anyways, the previous owner had a scope mounted and I got the rifle wit the scope mount. I took it off but he lost the original rear sight. I was planing to upgrade it to a peep sight anyways so the only downside is I can't go shoot the gun this weekend.

I would like to ask your advice for the following questions:

- what rear sight should I get? One that fits in the original location? One that replaces the safety? A tang sight?

- I want to refinish the wood. I read about a few that did it and since I never done it before I would like to know what material did you use? What brand and exactly how did you apply it?

Other than that, the gun seems to function pretty good. It was only shot 14 times so its practically brand new.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New here. New to me 92.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Zoti and welcome to the forum!

[quote="Zoti]what rear sight should I get? One that fits in the original location? One that replaces the safety? A tang sight?[/quote]
My choice is the Skinner Peep, I have them on two Rossi rifles. When ordering it, you might as well get a Skinner Front sight. You can tune that sight with a file.
Zoti wrote:I want to refinish the wood. I read about a few that did it and since I never done it before I would like to know what material did you use? What brand and exactly how did you apply it?
For me the answer is Tru-Oil. I have a number of topics on the subject as I have found it very easy to work with and not time consuming. I presently working on my 9th refinish this morning!
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Welcome aboard Zoti!!!

Congrats on the new to you rifle...... One option for a peep style sight is those made by Skinner Sights. http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html I have one on my Rio Grande and love it. There are others out there and hopefully someone else can speak to them.

I currently don't own a 92 so I can't speak about the safety mod, but that will change in the near future.... :lol:

Refinish of the stock: There are a number of folks here that have done this. Most use Tru-Oil. I went the Tung Oil route myself. I believe the Tru-Oil route would be much faster. I put approximately 16 coats of Tung Oil on my stock.

When you done everyone loves Pics...... :D
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Zoti

Post by Zoti »

Here it is. With all That I got with it.
Conman

Post by Conman »

Very nice rig. CONGRATS!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice combo congrats.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zoti

Post by Zoti »

Cabellas didn't have a rear sight but they did have some tru-oil. So I'll start with that.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice! Another picture for the header!
Michael
powhs

Post by powhs »

I just refinished my stock this week. Put truoil over the stock finish. It made the stain run. I had to sand off all the old finish and put on stain and 4 coats of truoil.
NRA-Life Member
Zoti

Post by Zoti »

I really want to try and shoot it tomorrow. Problem is, I don't have a rear sight. The guy I bought it from had a scope on it and I got the scope mount with the gun.

So I put the abomination together. Lol. At least I can shoot it tomorrow.