Finally Some Powder and Pills

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Finally Some Powder and Pills

Post by pricedo »

I shoot the Green Box (I guess today the Remington boxes are Green & Yellow) factory CL ammo in all my 30-30 Winchester 94 rifles..........plenty accurate & they do the job........haven't had a CL-shot deer jump up on its feet and argue that point yet........how can you argue with $14 a box @ 20 rounds :?:

And every WallMart, Crappy Tire & mom and pop hardware store in Bugtustle, USA or Ayesville, Canada has them.:mrgreen:

You die hard hand loaders keep cranking away on your presses........I'd rather be out huntin. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

so far, at least in my neck of the woods, there is no "closed season" or "bag limit" on handloading (varmint hunting aside) ;)

also, for those that only have a few precious "unscheduled" hours a week that they can truly call their own, hand loading provides some pretty good mental therapy. Also the results can prove quite rewarding.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I used to hand load a lot back when factory ammo quality was iffy and selection very limited.
I still hand load for my 416 Rem Mag cause ammo is over $100 for a 20 round box.
Lucky I read the handwriting on the wall for the 416 RM back when bags of 50 cases were still available & cheap and bought 10 bags of brand new cases.
I see the same handwriting on the wall for the 450 Marlin and have stockpiled a lot of cases for it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:You die hard hand loaders keep cranking away on your presses........I'd rather be out huntin. :lol:
Haah, I do plenty of both!
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Pricedo

I can certainly understand that. I have a near pristine .50-70 Gov Navy Springfield, 1872 Rolling Block (unfortunately "sporterized sometime in the late 30's) my late Dad ran across in the early 60's. Since the barrel was cut down several inches, the front sight was replaced .... which also meant the original rear sight was replaced and a couple of parts are missing from the sight (ladder type). Also, the shell extractor is missing, although I did track down what may be a replacement about 15 years ago but it's gonna take a true gun smith with some knowledge of antique firearms to work on it. If I can find someone with that talent within a 4-5 hour drive of NE Texas, I'd love to take the old gun for a visit. In the mean time, I know that Starline does in fact have .50-70 Gov brass available (at least a year or so ago when I was doing some searches. I seem to remember locating some dies a few years ago, and some should still be findable. I'm not getting any younger, and .50-70 Government ain't getting more popular, so I figure I should go ahead and drop two-three hundred bucks on the hard to find stuff if I ever plan to shoot this gun. When I really started thinking about it some 15 years ago the goal was to let my Dad squeeze the trigger on it at least one time while he might be able to handle it. Dad died 10 years ago without ever shooting that old beauty, but I still feel like I owe him a few rounds through it. And, they WILL be handloads.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I hear you on that.
Don't think you'll find many boxes of 50-70 ammo at the local Wally Mart.

I shoot the Nosler brand 165 grain Accubond ammo in my Winchester model 100 in 308 Win and the Nosler 180 grain Accubond ammo in my Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag..........getting real tight groups @ 100 yards so why waste barrel steel, 2 pounds of powder and 200 bullets developing a load?

Again......I'm not one to go to the range and lob 500 shots at paper on the weekends so a box of ammo will last me for years.

If I shot as much center fire ammo as some of you guys do I'd definitely hand load.

I do a lot of target shooting with my 22LR rimfire handguns & rifles........can shoot all afternoon for $10.

Just got back from grouse hunting in northern Ontario Canada and out of 2 x @25 round = 50 shot shells I harvested 47 birds.

A critter on the ground per round is the kind of shooter I am..........never came across a good recipe for paper or clay pigeons.

But if you enjoy shooting at paper & clay by all means ENJOY. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Care pkg arrives!! Went out for lunch and when I got back home a nice 15# care pkg was at the door. It was full of 30-30 goodies, lite wt bullets, some loaded and some cute 85 grainer hollow points. Yes jacketed hollow points. They are so cute I can't wait to see how they will fire. I also got some lead wad utters with a few loaded both ways (hollow base).
I also got some 100 grain flag jackets, 110 grain spire pt, 110 gr hollow pts(Sierra), and some 130 grain spire points (single shot hornady)
I have a single shot slow twist that should be the ticket for these lite wt pills.
Will report later on accuracy.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

And I was complaining about paying $70/box for .300 Remington Ultra mag.!