Shot the Rio Grande 45-70 today !

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
wll

Re: Shot the Rio Grande 45-70 today !

Post by wll »

pricedo wrote:Like I said we are all different.
We're shaped by genetics and our life experience.
Dad & Grandad had stocky builds as do I.
Played lots of sports through high school & college.
Thick muscular barrel chest and arms that absorb lots of recoil.
My 8 pound chopped Remington model 700 bolt action in 416 Remington Magnum with its 20" barrel adds a whole other dimension to recoil. It pushes a 400 grain Nosler Partition bullet to 2475 fps (5440 ft-lbs ME !). Its stock was made for me by my gunsmith/machinist/welder friend from a routed synthetic Ramline stock because it split the wooden stock it came with.
The 45-70 Guide Gun is a friendly little kitten compared to my "Sweet 16" (my nickname for the 416).
The recoil pad means everything........I have a top end Pachmayr recoil pad and a God'A Grip cheek pad on the 416.
Having said that the 416 collects a lot of dust between outings. :lol:
Sounds like the 416 is a real bear stopper !

wll
rzavaleta

Post by rzavaleta »

I finally shot mine today!!! Aye carumba! Fired the Hornady 325 grain ftx. What YOU said about the kick!

One well-placed round is worth 20 spray-and-pray.
ONE well-placed round beats a whole bunch of "spray & pray" any day!
wll

Post by wll »

rzavaleta wrote:I finally shot mine today!!! Aye carumba! Fired the Hornady 325 grain ftx. What YOU said about the kick!

One well-placed round is worth 20 spray-and-pray.
Yes, no wonder it can take any game in the world within its range limitations !

wll
dillydallyho

Post by dillydallyho »

I know what you mean about the recoil. Before I got my Rio Grande, I had a handy rifle, which is maybe the only other 45-70 that's lighter than the RG (at least it seems that way), but somehow it handled recoil very well. I thought I was some sort of a tough guy because I could shoot it comfortably. When I got the RG I gained a new respect for the 45-70.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

wll wrote:
pricedo wrote:Like I said we are all different.
We're shaped by genetics and our life experience.
Dad & Grandad had stocky builds as do I.
Played lots of sports through high school & college.
Thick muscular barrel chest and arms that absorb lots of recoil.
My 8 pound chopped Remington model 700 bolt action in 416 Remington Magnum with its 20" barrel adds a whole other dimension to recoil. It pushes a 400 grain Nosler Partition bullet to 2475 fps (5440 ft-lbs ME !). Its stock was made for me by my gunsmith/machinist/welder friend from a routed synthetic Ramline stock because it split the wooden stock it came with.
The 45-70 Guide Gun is a friendly little kitten compared to my "Sweet 16" (my nickname for the 416).
The recoil pad means everything........I have a top end Pachmayr recoil pad and a God'A Grip cheek pad on the 416.
Having said that the 416 collects a lot of dust between outings. :lol:
Sounds like the 416 is a real bear stopper !

wll
That 400 grain Nosler Partition bullet has over 2 1/2 tons of muzzle energy.......like the combination of a meat grinder and a freight train. It'll drop a Rhino, Cape Buffalo or Hippo with one shot. A Grizzly is "small potatoes" for the 416. It split its original wooden stock in half before the first box of ammo was gone. I had to rout out the barrel channel on a Ramline synthetic stock to fit it. The synthetic stock was the only thing that would handle the recoil. Chopped the barrel to 20" while I was at it & re-crowned it. The gun weighs only 8 pounds......very light for an "elephant gun".

The 416 Rem Mag at least puts the bear out of it's pain & misery quickly.........just the opposite with the shooter. :lol:

The 45-70 RG is a "%@*&$-cat" compared to that beast. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA