Re-Size New Brass ?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ninety Caliber

Re-Size New Brass ?

Post by Ninety Caliber »

Getting ready to load some 45-70 with NEW RP brass. Is it necessary to run them through the re-sizing die?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N.C.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Re-Size New Brass ?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ninety Caliber wrote:Getting ready to load some 45-70 with NEW RP brass. Is it necessary to run them through the re-sizing die?
Yes, should also run them through a Lee type trimmer to catch the long ones as well.
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I'm probably showing my age here, but way back in the day you could buy primed brass that was ready to load.

The stuff we buy now in 50 or 100 piece bags is the equivalent of bulk brass and needs to be sized before use. If nothing else, it will correct the out of round case mouths you'll encounter in pistol and straight wall rifle calibers.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have seen here and there some places that sell primed brass but paying a $25.00 hazmat fee to get somthing that I casn do myself and better seems crazy. I agree also take a set of calipers and measure the brass you will be surprized at the differences on case length without trimming and sizing it your results can fluctuate the point of reloading your ammo in most cases is consistency. though I do know shooters that prefer qauntity over qaulity. They load this way I do not.
Last edited by akuser47 on 09 Sep 2013 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I buy all my brass from Starline and always run them through the sizer and check case length. Better to be safe.. :)
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

akuser47 wrote:I have seen here and there some places that sell primed brass but paying a $25.00 hazmat fee to get somthing that I casn do myself and better seems crazy. I agree also take a set of calipers and measure the brass you will be surprized at the differences on case length without trimming it your results can fluctuate.
I think that's the major reason you seldom see it.

When you saw it was back in an era when a) it was not considered a hazmat item, and b) on-line (or it's precursor - mail order shopping) was not as big and more items went through the LGS. Now, it would be crazy for an LGS to stock primed brass, and it makes no sense to order it through the mail.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I have some RP & WW brass still new in the bags I salted away a few years ago.
There is a definite quality difference between the old brass and the new brass on the market now in regards to both construction and uniformity.
Heard rumors that both RP & WW are importing cheap Chinese made brass and certainly wouldn't dismiss those rumors out of hand especially where "Big Green" is involved. :o
The new WW brass in particular looks as thin as tin foil compared to the older WW stuff I had squirreled away.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I size all the new brass to make them uniform, then trim.

Primed brass used to be just a little more than unprimed and was a bargain. I used it for hunting ammo as it was usually sealed. Bought mostly once fired as it was a lot cheaper than new brass.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'll add chamfer and deburr too
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

I treat all my new brass as used brass! Seems to work for me. I have found a few not quite in spec. so I see no reason not to treat it the same!