Nobel #60

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Nobel #60

Post by Missionary »

Good afternoon
This container of #60 is acceptable.
First round in caliber .357 case : 3 grains (weighed) Lyman 358432 (range scrap 164 grains) Very mild recoil no evidence of any irregular ignition.
2nd round 3.5 grains (everything else the same ) Mild recoil No evidence of irregular ignition
3rd round 4 grains (all same) Mild recoil on par with what I load as a 38 Special equivalent fired in this M19
4th round 4.5 grains Recoil as I would expect from this same bullet and 5 grains Unique in this revolever.

That was my test for now. All 4 bullets inpact my inverted "T" target (15 yards) within 1 inch of elevation and spread horizontaly about 2 inches. This S-W M19 has a 3.5 inch barrel anfd is capable of cloverleafs at 15 yards with me sitting in the dirt as I normally do with new load tests.

Next I will load 10 at 4.5 grains and 10 at 5 grains. One of those should be my plinker load for the next few years as I will ration these to 20 per month.

I think looking at this #60 as a near equal to Green Dot is a good rule of thumb. Burns cleaner than Unique but less than 231 but not dirty. I am a happy camper !
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mike, was this on the shelf in Peru or did somebody give it to you. Just curious as I don't picture many reloaders in Peru. I guess my question can a citizen of Peru reload and if he can, what is the source of components?
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings Mike
Officialy it is permissable to reload shotgun and those componets are somewhat available. When you see primers you snap them up. Generally 3F BP is available but you have to wait till a supplier has a keg. Then you buy however much you need for the next couple years. "Ocassionally" smokeless shows up in small quantities. Generally from an old shooter who has had it for many years tucked away. First full one I have ever seen here in 27 years.
But most individuals do not reload. Many do not know it is possible. Most would not try. Farmers and a few "others" do know how and do so.
So you can have the stuff in house "if" you have a lisenced shotgun which I do. If you can come across componets then OK. Importing componets by an individual requires a $1000 lisence ( last time I checked). No one does it. Munitions are made here in country for the police (officers sell their monthly ration) and for the Army ( officers sell 308,9mm). I buy 9mm and salvage the componets for 38 Special, 357.

As a follow up on the #60 My old Lee dipper set pachaged 1987 has Nobel #60 (and numerous other Nobel ) on the sliding weight chart. The .7cc is listed as 5.1 grains. My Lee scale says it drops 4.8 consistently but I scrape the top of the dipper flush each time. I was going to make a dipper but have one ready to go.
This is working out nicely.
Mike in Peru
Last edited by Missionary on 07 Sep 2013 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

RD and Pricedo.....

You are killing with the spreaders pic...... I have not laughed that hard in some time. :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Missionary wrote: If it was caked together, turned to dust, smelled rank, would not ignite..... Then I would dump it.
Mike in Peru
Go for it Mike. Like they used to tell us in the Army...... smoke'em if you got'em......... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I went out and checked the Lee Modern Reloading, the first edition, but it made no mention of it.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Makes me wonder if the newer Lee Dipper Sets have Nobel #60 still listed on the sliding scale ?
Mike in Peru
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

"Assuming it has not been stored in excessively hot conditions or exposed to moisture, powder is generally very stable stuff and will last for several decades."

When we moved last time, I had 48 one pound cans of different powders. We moved into a small 1700 sq. ft house that had no shop, so I had to store the powder somewhere. I was not into shooting at the time and the only place I had to put it was in my hangar at the airport. That has to be the worst environment possible for anything. Hot in summer and cold in winter and more humid than a rain forest. Some days I would open the doors and the airplane would be covered in water. The powder must have stayed there for 7-8 years before I moved it to my new shop behind the house. I still was not into shooting, but they began looking in our hangars after 9/11, and I did not want to get my picture in the newspaper. After all that, I lost only one can of powder. An almost full can of rifle powder (I don't remember what number). The cap was a little loose, and did not make a seal. It turned into a lump and would not burn no matter what I did to it. So powder can take a good bit of "abuse"....IF ....the lid is tight.

In 1986 when my father in law passed away, I inherited his guns. A few M12 shotguns, a Winchester M1890, M1906, M62, but the one I like best is a Remington, 22 Rem special (22 WRF).One day I was going through an old cabinet that had been outside on the carport since 1958 when he built the house. In it, I found a few cartridges for the WRF. When I shot the first one, I noticed an unusual amount of smoke. actually ANY smoke from a 22 rimfire is unusual! Then I smelled the smoke as it passed by me. BLACK POWDER! No way I thought. So I pulled the projectile from one of the other bullets and poured out some of the finest ground black power that I have ever seen.

Bullets and powder will last a long long time if sealed.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

By the way,. do you know what ping pong balls are made of? ......Nitrocellulose,and they last for a long time if left out unsealed.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

So if we come across 100 ping pong balls and grind them up... would they be usable as a propellant? :lol:
Mike in Peru