Any Hunts Planned For Your Rossi?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Any Hunts Planned For Your Rossi?

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Brother and I took a trip to Brownwood Tx yesterday to look at a new hunting spot. Got to say I love that area...... great looking piece of property. Lots of hog activity and some ruff country on parts of that ranch. Filled the feeders and will go back in October to check on things and do some ranch work for the owner. Come on hunting season!!!!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I bet it was hot out there, 100° here today!
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Yep it was a real cooker..... :lol: We left FBG around 5 am and arrived there around 7:20. By 11 it was smoking hot. Nice afternoon ride home in the A/C I fell asleep and woke up in Mason.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

I plan to take my .357 16" Rossi on some still hunts, slow-stalking blacktail deer bucks in the oak and fir forests near where I live. I may also take my Rossi on a pig hunt later in the year, though I tend to prefer using a bow for pigs rather than firearms. Pretty thrilling to stalk to within 10-20 yards to a 200 lb sow or boar for a clean bowshot...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lostcoast wrote:I plan to take my .357 16" Rossi on some still hunts, slow-stalking blacktail deer bucks in the oak and fir forests near where I live. I may also take my Rossi on a pig hunt later in the year, though I tend to prefer using a bow for pigs rather than firearms. Pretty thrilling to stalk to within 10-20 yards to a 200 lb sow or boar for a clean bowshot...
Makes me think of the new Rossi ad in a magazine I receive! Shows a fellow in camo with the R92 across his shoulder. Rossi is doing a better job with their ads, at bit more into what is really happening with their products. I will get a copy up.

At one time I was really into bow hunting, recurves was my choice, but shoulder surgery, twice, kind of ended for me. The closest I've ever stalked a up to a sleeping hog was 3'. The brush was so tight I couldn't see it so I just went nice and slow.I kept hearing a twig bend and could not figure it out what would be causing the noise as it was keeping a rhythm. I knew I was really close because I could also smell the hog. Finally, I saw the movement. The hogs head was slowly moving as it breathed, it was sound asleep and it's ear (all I could see) was making contact with the twig as it's head moved that little bit. I shot it with the R92.
Michael
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Ranch Dog wrote:At one time I was really into bow hunting, recurves was my choice, but shoulder surgery, twice, kind of ended for me. The closest I've ever stalked a up to a sleeping hog was 3'. The brush was so tight I couldn't see it so I just went nice and slow.I kept hearing a twig bend and could not figure it out what would be causing the noise as it was keeping a rhythm. I knew I was really close because I could also smell the hog. Finally, I saw the movement. The hogs head was slowly moving as it breathed, it was sound asleep and it's ear (all I could see) was making contact with the twig as it's head moved that little bit. I shot it with the R92.
Great story, Ranch Dog - that's a great image of the ear and twig moving with the hog's breathing!

I have access to a large private parcel encompassing 1000 acres of very wild California landscape that happens to have a healthy pig/Russian Boar hybrid population. The last time I bowhunted there I stalked up to within 10 feet of an immense 250+lb sow as she rooted around just inside of a thicket of trees and brush. I could not get a clear shot and instead watched as she trotted off to a nearby copse of bay and oak trees.

Minding the wind I soon made my way into the copse and stalked slowly towards the far end where it opened into meadow, which is where I assumed she had gone. I was so focused on trying to detect movement in the grasses beyond the treeline that I failed to watch where my feet were going for several seconds, and I managed to step right on the sow as she lay sleeping between the roots of an ancient bay tree - oops!

It is experiences like these, infinitely more so than the act of killing, that gets me out into the wild lands every year with bow or rifle..
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lostcoast wrote:It is experiences like these, infinitely more so than the act of killing, that gets me out into the wild lands every year with bow or rifle..
You are exactly right! With your setting in California and the description you provided, I started visualizing Chuck Adams. Now there is a name and a bowhunting legend that I haven't thought about in awhile.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My game warden friend and I applied for two USNWR (US National Wildlife Refuge) hunts for nilgai and were drawn on one of the two! Very pleased as the hunt we drew is for a new area that is supposedly loaded with the critters. The hunt will actually take place in February but will also serve as a scouting trip for us as we plan to apply for the whitetail hunt in the fall of 2014. Super area up against the Norias Division of the King Ranch.

The applications for the whitetail hunt are low as you must use slug guns or muzzleloaders, these types of hunters are in short supply in Texas in general and South Texas especially as it is the home of the long range rifle. This area is pulling 165 to 200+ BC whitetails so that is the reason behind my recent purchase of the Rossi Single Shot combo (12 gauge rifled slug barrel and 50 Cal muzzleloader). Should start shooting both of these in the next week to ten days as just about everything needed for the initial shooting has been arriving. The nilgai hunt allows use of centerfire rifles.

I've been having very good luck being drawn for the nilgai hunts and yes, a Rossi will be carried! Either my RG4570 or R92 chambered in 454 Casull. I will have my bullets for the latter by then so it has a huge possibility of being first up.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

As a note, my Texas Parks and Wildlife draw hunts were all a bust as they have been since 1986. I've been trying to draw antelope and desert mule deer but I guess it isn't going to work. I dropped my lease in Brewster County three years ago in hopes that I might get drawn. Going to go back to where I was hunting the two critters and give up on the State hunts.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Almost as fruitless an endeavor as the Maine moose draw.
I finally gave that one up after a couple of thousand dollars donated to the state of Maine. :cry:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA