A question of survival !

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
wll

A question of survival !

Post by wll »

I have three Marlin 44 1894 rifles and one rossi 1892.

The Rossi 92 with a 16 inch barrel is very, very fast and is a joy to shoulder !

I own a couple of Ruger Mini 30's but there is no charm to them and they are just rifles to me , my question ?

How many of you have a short barreled lever gun, with the intent of using that in case the %$^# hits the fan !

I love my Marlin 1894's, but the Rossi is way faster and quicker, it is one heck of a gun !

What are your thoughts ?

wll
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: A question of survival !

Post by akuser47 »

As my user name shows I would prob. stick to an ak for apocalypse end of world bugout. If still fortified and doing well at home my lever would certainly be in the mix for sure until ammo and reloads are exhausted. then back to semi rifles. Though I think guns in this scenerio will draw alot of attention unless they have silencers to keep it somewhat silent. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

For me I have a number of firearms spread around. My go-to SHTF weapon will be the one closets to me when that moment comes.....LMAO. I love my levers but I also know just how fast you can go through a 30 rnd mag. That is why I have an AR. Don't get me wrong , my RG 45-70 would close by as well.

My thoughts on that are even with body armor on I doubt anyone could survive a center mass hit from a 45-70. The shock transfer would have to be like getting hit by a train..... :lol:

The other problem I see with lots of folks I know is they have firearms but little ammo. I tell my Father that all the time. What good is your weapon if you have nothing to fire out of it? What do you plan on doing hitting them with the butt stock..... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:I love my levers but I also know just how fast you can go through a 30 rnd mag. That is why I have an AR.
I think a lot of ARs are going to be out of fuel a lot quicker than people realize. My range see's full auto shooting by Select State Peace Officers. When I watch them shoot, I always tell them they should carry more ammo than they do. One of these fellows got into a shoot out with some drug smugglers and in a matter of a few seconds he was in deep trouble and depending on a Glock.

The SHTF talk is all situational. It depends on the situation that sets it off and it depends on your situation when it happens. Out where I'm at and without gasoline to propel vehicles, zombies are going to figure out just how tough this country I live in is. Hard core illegal immigrants die all the time trying to cross it so some city slicker turned zombie is not going to make it very far. The trip wires are going to get the others.

I'm going to move this topic to the "Topic Bucket".
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Yep ammo runs out fast when your pulling the trigger. 1000 rnds sounds like a lot but in the real world it is not much at all. Lets hope we never see that day!!!

wll

Post by wll »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Yep ammo runs out fast when your pulling the trigger. 1000 rnds sounds like a lot but in the real world it is not much at all. Lets hope we never see that day!!!
I agree, I don't want that day either.

I have 'a few Marlin 94's, and they are truly great hunting and survival woods guns. A 100-150 yrd hit with a good 44 mag load will do some serious damage, sight in at about 125 yds. What sets the 16 "Rossi apart is the size of the gun and the weight, it is very light and it points like a dream. Not to say my Marlin 94's are not great rifles, they are, but the 92 is just different !

Yes, I agree that most folks are interested in spraying the hillside and not aiming, IMHO a big mistake. Your best bet is get a gun that you feel comfortable with, one that you can hunt with if you so desire and one that you can have lots of ammo for .... ammo is the key as without it, you now own a cool looking club !

wll
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I agree 110% with whatever weapon you pick it has to feel good. That is why I love my RG 45-70 so much.

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I do agree if pray and spray is your method. I have an ar M4 setup shoots great, I also have three ak's setup different. I look at it this way if it is real bad I may not have time to reload very fast by the loading gate. I can shot well under time and pressure with little spray. My arsenal SAM7R is a can driver,basically a battle rifle. It can hit pop cans at 300yards no problem with a big scope on it. With iron sights my badd eyes can hit 6" steel at 150 yards 8 out of ten shoots so I am sure I can hang with this weapon. As long as I do not get trigger happy. +guns I like this setup because I can CQC it with irons and with my slide mount scope it can become a halfway decent DMR in emrgency not a .75 MOA gun but battle practical accuracy is def. acceptable. As stated you have to be comfy with your platform I love my 92. I love my ak's more though in this scenerio. +corn
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

akuser47 wrote: I love my ak's more though in this scenerio. +corn
I really love my M18A1 Claymore mines tooooooo. Crap, I forgot I don't have any of those.... :lol:

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

claymores are cool for sure. +1 For good perimeter security it lets you know were someone was and may still be advanceing. I have a decent supply of toys and food to feed them and have a 2 month supply of foods for me and mine. I rotate every day to be sure it is gtg. I need to get my water supply figured out. Ammo and such I could last a good while. Good supplies of all calibers of ammo I would be happy if I had enough food and water.