A question of survival !

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: A question of survival !

Post by Model 52 »

When I think "survival" it's more in the sense of mountain flying in Supercub, where if the engine quits you're in for a bit of an extended stay or a long walk back to civilization.

In that sense I have several "survival" rifles I'd consider - an M6 in .22LR/.410, a lightweight 16" AR-15, 9422s in 16" and 20.5" barrel lengths (a takedown design from the start) and a Model 92 Takedown.

Of those the M6 is the lightest and most compact, and it's very accurate in .22LR but the iron sights are a bit crude and limit the effective range to about 75 yards on cotton tail sized targets. It's also a single shot and for larger game, even with .410 slugs the terminal ballistics are in the .380 class and the practical range (100% hits on an 8" plate) is about 35 yards.

The AR-15 is 5.7 pounds empty with a magazine and sling, and can utilize a .22LR conversion kit with reasonable accuracy, so like the M6 it offers the ability to use lightweight and easy to carry lots of .22LR as well as something with a bit more poke. It also breaks down in two pieces and can be stored in a fairly short case - like the M6.

The 9422 in 16"or 22" barrel length can be taken down and stored in a short package (24" or 30" respectively), is accurate with a tang sight out to about 100 yards on cotton tail sized game, and holds 11 and 15 rounds. It's a limited on larger game, where you'd need a head or well placed neck shot to bring down a deer.

The Model 92 takedown is nearly ideal in terms of deer sized game and with 11 rounds and a silky smooth action has excellent rapid fire capability. If it were me versus charging bear, it would be my choice out of all of the above options - including the AR-15. The downside is a comparatively heavy round in .44 Mag or .45 Colt that limits the rounds you could carry, but the rifle itself is light, handy, well balanced and carries very well compared to an AR-15 carbine.

----

In the home defense/home invasion sense of the word, a Model 92 in .45 Colt or .44 Mag is tough to beat as they are simple to operate, have a good rate of fire, and unlike an AR-15 carbine in .223, is not quite as hard on the ears in small spaces. And again the light, handy well balanced and natural pointing traits of the Model 92 are an asset in snap shooting at close range and in low light conditions.
wll

Post by wll »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:
akuser47 wrote: I love my ak's more though in this scenerio. +corn
I really love my M18A1 Claymore mines tooooooo. Crap, I forgot I don't have any of those.... :lol:
LOl, LOL, LO L you are way to funny ; -)

wll
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
The best survival weapon is the one you have in your hands. If all I could afford is a wrist rocket you can be sure I would have lots of caliber .30 ball bearings and I would be past proficient with it. A recurve bow is another great companion. Then the lowly caliber.22. More than a match for any earlobe. Put a CB Cap in a more than 16 inch barrel and there is near nothing to hear past the target. Then there is a 1907 made 44 WCF SRC. The ammo is heavy.. but one is all that it will take.
If we can get to the desert, out of this metropolis.. Otherwise there would not be enough ammo for a Minigun to stop all the herds of masses that are nearby. Escape and evasion two good words to understand.
If you have not well read Patriots you should think seriously about a copy.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another good read is "Once Second After" which is written by a guy that understands the threat. None of this ends good.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

SHTF survival for me most likely will come in the form of the Katrina effect (zombies). We are about 4 miles west of an hurricane evacuation route and I have seen that US Highway stopped dead with a solid line of cars. I just close and lock my gate and we are fine. Four miles is a long way for zombies to walk, especially as poorly as these people plan their evacuations.

Survival for us is killing hogs, gathering the good things to eat out here, and taking care of our water supply. The threat will be from small acreage owners between us and the US Highway. If the event is something more than the Katrina effect, end of time thing, there is one fellow that I will engage immediately while I'm healthy and eliminate a huge threat down the road for an entire community of people.

A huge obstacle is my wife's meds. They have a life limit and they send us two at a time which covers a three week period. I have managed to fool the system and rotate a stock of three. The bad thing is that without adequate refrigeration they will go south very quick and so shall she. With that outcome and her not keeping me in check, I'm going to become a Warlord and rule South Texas!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ranch Dog wrote:SHTF survival for me most likely will come in the form of the Katrina effect (zombies). We are about 4 miles west of an hurricane evacuation route and I have seen that US Highway stopped dead with a solid line of cars. I just close and lock my gate and we are fine. Four miles is a long way for zombies to walk, especially as poorly as these people plan their evacuations.

Survival for us is killing hogs, gathering the good things to eat out here, and taking care of our water supply. The threat will be from small acreage owners between us and the US Highway. If the event is something more than the Katrina effect, end of time thing, there is one fellow that I will engage immediately while I'm healthy and eliminate a huge threat down the road for an entire community of people.

A huge obstacle is my wife's meds. They have a life limit and they send us two at a time which covers a three week period. I have managed to fool the system and rotate a stock of three. The bad thing is that without adequate refrigeration they will go south very quick and so shall she. With that outcome and her not keeping me in check, I'm going to become a Warlord and rule South Texas!
I completly forgot to mention that I am diabetic and insulin dependent. I would be ill fast I guess if I could last long enough to get my daughter dug in and self sufficent then I could die happy unless I could find a pig farm If I eat a pig pancreas raw I can absorb its insulin but not sure how healthy that will be either. LoL The posative is walmart has type r and I can buy it over the counter I have a six month supply I rotate as I need it so it could help me make it a little longer. I hope this never happens.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Portability, firepower when needed, quiet and won't draw attention, availability of ammo, dependability, effectiveness against your main foe once state enforced rules of law and civility are removed.

My post SHTF gun - don't laugh :lol: - Ruger 10/22 take down model
Portability - Ruger 10/22 take down is very light & disassembles into 2 pieces for easy transport....the 22LR ammo has a high number of rounds/weight ratio
Firepower when needed - Ruger 10/22 is a semi and can kick'em out there pretty quick......easy to convert to full auto if you know how & I do
quiet and won't draw attention - the 22LR is almost silent compared to center fire caliber guns & can be effectively silenced with a rag......you DON'T want to advertise your whereabouts to marauding human gangs
availability of ammo - 50 pounds of 22 RF ammo is a lot more rounds than 50 pounds of center fire ammo like 223, 30-30.......I'll be shooting my 10/22 from my 50 pound pack sack supply long after your R92s & ARs have run out and there will be a lot more probability of happenstancing upon an external supply of 22 RF ammo than any other caliber.......lots of households have a 22 RF firearm of some kind.......the 22LR guns & ammo are everywhere
dependability - the Ruger 10/22 is very dependable......never had a misfire in any of my 3 x 10/22s.......easy to clean & repair
effectiveness against your main foe - the most dangerous, malicious & vindictive animal you will ever meet after (& BEFORE) the collapse of society & enforced rule of law is other human beings. Humans are very nasty but very easy to kill........that big head with its big brain is a big target........the KGB, MOSSAD & mob hit men have been using 22LR pistols as assassination weapons for years and they certainly have the demonstrated track record to know what they're doing in that regard
Last edited by pricedo on 29 Aug 2013 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Ranch Dog wrote:Another good read is "Once Second After" which is written by a guy that understands the threat. None of this ends good.
Maybe we should have a must read sticky... Naw.. the zombies might get ideas and learn to read.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well put pricedo I have a 1022 but it is a bull barrel I have modified. a takedown would be nice.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Another good read is "Once Second After" which is written by a guy that understands the threat. None of this ends good.
NOBODY UNDERSTANDS THE THREAT .......we in our comfortable homes in our comfortable communities in North America have never experienced what it is like when civilized society collapses & enforced rule of law is completely removed.......I mean no cops anywhere, forever.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA