Old isn't necessarily bad in regards to optics

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Old isn't necessarily bad in regards to optics

Post by pricedo »

I was just looking at the Bushnell Scopechief IV 2.5-8x40mm scope I got with my Winchester 100 rifle and the optics are as clear and the reticules as distinct & crisp as any of the modern scopes I have & I have about 30 or them.
The only problem with the old steel tubes is that they might be a coupla ounces heavier than their modern counterparts.
I figure the old scope is around 30 (+/- 5) years old and the magnetic Command Post which was the first thing I checked works perfectly.
I'm going to put a Leupold ultra-light 2-7x28mm on the model 100 but the ONLY reason I'm doing it is because of the aforementioned weight factor. The old Bushnell is every bit as good a scope optically and functionally as the Leupold that is replacing it that was manufactured with a 30 year technological advantage.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Old isn't necessarily bad in regards to optics

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nothing but agreement from me! I own similar Bushnell scopes.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I have a Bushnell Sportview 4x, circa 1973, still mounted on the 1973 Model 336 it started out with. That gun hung in the original owner's pickup truck window gun rack that not only did the gun blue and stock get sun bleached, the scope body did too. I stripped the gun down and refinished the walnut with many, many applications of Danish Oil and had the metal re-blued. The old Bushnell still looks somewhat blued on one side, and nearly in the white on the other. I've thought several times about replacing it, but there's no good reason too. The optics are clear and bright, the cross hairs are sharp (as sharp as my poor eye can focus), and it holds zero as well as any scope I've ever owned. I'm keeping mine too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Howdy
Yep.. me too.
I have looked through some of the old El Paso scopes and they have very good glass in them.
It all depends on who made the glass, what was used in the making and how that raw material was finished.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.