92 Finally up to snuff!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
picketpin

92 Finally up to snuff!

Post by picketpin »

I got a pretty good deal on this Braztec/Taurus 92 about a year ago, and as most new guns I purchase it went through various stages of tweeking/redesdign/ becoming mine. First is to tung oil the sticky mystery stock, much better...Did the Steves guns action tune, replaced the springs with Steves Guns kit, Honestly I do not think it changed a thing. I think Taurus took a tip from the aftermarket industry and reduced the power of all the springs.
Next I drilled and tapped the receiver for a Williams 94-36. My first home gunsmithing hole error left the sight less than perpendicular. I moved it all forward one hole and made sure the second time everything was lined up. lesson learned , thankfully my lack of judgement hides neatly behind the sight....Added a Skinner front sight from the great guys up there in Polson Montana, and filed it to optimum height for my loads. It took a brass shim to make it set tight, I'll change that to JB Weld if it ever fails. I had the Magazine slide thing going on with heavy/all 44 loads. I had my gunsmith (Rocky at Rocky's Gunworks in Three Forks Montana) fit a Marlin 336 front barrel band to the little Rossi, pretty close fit so not too much fitting involved. The Marlin Band has a much larger diameter screw that secures the magazine tube quite well. Rocky also milled the Magazine cap scre hole in the bottom of the barrel a little deeper so that screw gets a little better grip now.
I was fiddling with some Ranch Dog 265 gr Gas check bullets from Carolina Cast, and some 2400. I was getting pressure signs with less than max loads. I switched to Lil'Gun, 20 grains, WLP primer and the RD 265 with gas check and it seemed to come together well today. The group in the picture measures 1.45" at 50 yards, pretty good for a first attempt with new powder (Actually I knew 20 gr. of little gun worked pretty well with Speer 270 Golddots from experimenting with my Marlin 94 in 44M). After a couple clicks up and over I shot this target today and the little Rossi 44 has become a new favorite, certainly most likely to be grabbed when heading out the door, a part of me.. ..
James
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 92 Finally up to snuff!

Post by akuser47 »

very sexy nice looking stick you have there.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, that is a nice rig and another picture for the header! Glad to see it shooting a Ranch Dog as Well!

+guns
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

James all I can say is look out Ranch Dog is a pusher. I know he not only got me buying his 290 gr 454 bullets for my 45 Colt, he also got me to buy half of the 325 gr 454 new design so since I don't cast my own but also use Carolina Bullets he will have the mold for them. :mrgreen:

Now if I could find his heavier 45-70 mold the ones Carolina doesn't have I buy them and send them to Carolina bullets also, just to have a source. :shock:
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:James all I can say is look out Ranch Dog is a pusher.
Hahh!
joec wrote:Now if I could find his heavier 45-70 mold the ones Carolina doesn't have I buy them and send them to Carolina bullets also, just to have a source. :shock:
Joe, I know NOE has ordered the tooling for my 45-70 molds, both tumble and standard lube grooves. His mold are higher than Lee will offer but they are a lot nice. Just an idea???
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:James all I can say is look out Ranch Dog is a pusher.
Hahh!
joec wrote:Now if I could find his heavier 45-70 mold the ones Carolina doesn't have I buy them and send them to Carolina bullets also, just to have a source. :shock:
Joe, I know NOE has ordered the tooling for my 45-70 molds, both tumble and standard lube grooves. His mold are higher than Lee will offer but they are a lot nice. Just an idea???

I REST MY CASE!!!! PUSHER. :mrgreen:
Joe
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Good choice on the sight. I have used that one on a number of lever guns. Thinking of putting it on my M92 carbine in 44 Magnum. Well worth the effort. With the Skinner front sight it is a perfect setup IMHO.
picketpin

Post by picketpin »

Yea, RD is a pusher, been in my wallet a few times too for some unusual Lee Factory Crimp dies and case trimmers for the Marlin express cartridge line. Thanks to Him for stepping up and getting things on his site that were hard to find and or special order and offering them for reasonable prices!

I love my Marlin 94's but they just are not the same as a slick 92. I really like the Williams rear sight/ skinner front set up too. I have the same on my older Puma .357 that my wife quickly claimed as "hers".. Backfired on her though, I found a lonely 1894C that I had to get to "replace" the 92 :roll:

james
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

picketpin wrote:I have the same on my older Puma .357 that my wife quickly claimed as "hers".. Backfired on her though, I found a lonely 1894C that I had to get to "replace" the 92
Went the other way when Mrs Willy claimed my 1892. I fixed up a project 1894C for her and got my gun back.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Congrats picketpin. Very nice rifle.

Thread drift.....I feel your pain 44-40. My wife confiscated my 1894C and then a matching caliber stainless blackhawk. I consoled myself by getting a Taurus 45LC SA. She finally felt sorry for me and gave me a Puma ss trapper in 45LC to match for our 30th anniversary. All is well except I have to clean all of them.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver