First Kill

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
m1895g

First Kill

Post by m1895g »

My new 92 got its first kill last night. Dog was raising he11 in the back yard and when I looked there was a big old badger back there. 240gr HP over 21gr of 2400 and he was DRT.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: First Kill

Post by akuser47 »

Nice Good thing your dog didn't get tore up. badgers can put up a heck of a fight.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
m1895g

Post by m1895g »

akuser47 wrote:Nice Good thing your dog didn't get tore up. badgers can put up a heck of a fight.
She is old enough (13) to know to stay away from one and just call me.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:Nice Good thing your dog didn't get tore up. badgers can put up a heck of a fight.
Badgers are a member of the weasel family along with the mink, ferret, stout, otter, wolverine.
Shy, friendly, compassionate and timid are 4 genes entirely missing from their genome.
My big German Sheppard mix (RIP) "PAL" (over 100 pounds) killed one in our yard the same way he killed skunks and racoons by grabbing them by the back of the neck with those vise-like jaws of his and shaking them until their backs broke.
Badgers and racoons don't turn fast and that's their undoing for a big dog that knows how to kill them.
Once those steel trap jaws locked onto the back of the neck the fight was over.
A smaller racoon took a chunk out of PALs nose when he was a pup and he hated them and would kill them on sight till the day he died. I guess the unfortunate badger looked too much like a coon for his own good.
That badger would have seriously hurt of killed a smaller dog.
A friend of my Dads from Yellow Knife, NWT in Canada always wanted to see if he could raise a wolverine from a kit to be a family pet............we haven't seen or heard from him for quite a while. :mrgreen:
Badgers prey on prairie dogs, ground squirrels and other crop destroying rodents and pests and are considered a farmers best friend.
I don't as a rule shoot them for that reason.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I got a rule... lots of brush out there beyond my yard so if it gets in my yard, it gets the bullet. The yard is for me at the dog. Nice job, this is exactly what these handy little levers are made for.
Michael
m1895g

Post by m1895g »

[quote="Ranch Dog"]I got a rule... lots of brush out there beyond my yard so if it gets in my yard, it gets the bullet. The yard is for me at the dog. Nice job, this is exactly what these handy little levers are made for.[/quo

Not so little..24" octagon barrel...but it still works
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If the badger is visibly sick/rabid &/or is attacking a family member or family pet or messing with my game carcasses........ +guns .
If it is in peaceful transit through my property by the most direct route (ie. no detours through the chicken coop) I will leave it alone.
If it is after the garbage bag ripping & raiding squirrels and crows even better. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BNSF

Post by BNSF »

Nice story about your dog. My dad has a short hair collie mix that does the same thing with coons, badgers and such, saw her pick up a coon and kill it in seconds. The dog is getting old now, but has killed two badgers. Thanks again
mod 85

"
outsidebear

Post by outsidebear »

Anyone wanting to read a true account about a family raising and living with wolverines, enter an online search for the book: Tupu-Tupu-Tupu by Peter Krott , a good read. enjoy