Need Help With Sight Selection

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Need Help With Sight Selection

Post by mr surveyor »

just a thought ... what about using a small round file and taking a bit of material out of the rear sight groove?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

I had the same problem with my M92 (.357/.38). I went with the tallest Marbles fiber optic front sight and their long Bullseye ghost ring rear sight. I couldn't be happier.
blbolin

Post by blbolin »

blbolin wrote:Well after reading the Rossi 92 site for quite a while and worrying that I would buy a 92 with all kinds of problems, I finally bought a 92 SS 16inch carbine in 38/357.
Taking it to range it is smooth and has worked flawlessly with any cartridge tried, it also shoots small groups. The only problem it shoots those groups about 5 to 6 inches high at 25 yards no matter what cartridge I use with the rear sights on the lowest adjustment. 25 to fifty yards is about all I will every shoot the rifle, but I would like to at least aim at the bulleye without guessing and holding somewhere below and maybe still have some adjust left in the rear site.
I have never had this problem before on any iron sight rifle I own. What are others using for a taller height front sight on their 16 inch carbines to correct this. Trying to go through charts and just pick out a front sight for this carbine would seem just like guesswork, any suggestions for an exact front sight that has worked from others who had a similar problem with this carbine/caliber combination. I want to keep the stock rear sight also.
Oh, the only other problem is you sure can go through a lot ammo with this carbine because its a fun rifle to shoot.
Thanks
I was checking out several different internet sites about the Rossi Model 92 and on everyone of them the problem of the posters M92 carbines shooting high is mentioned or questioned about, so this must be a common problem.
Everyone says they went to a taller front sights but no one says how high a sight they went to or what part number they used. I was thinking of going to the Marbles .500, any thoughts from anyone?
Augustus

Post by Augustus »

I just finished watching a fella on youtube explain that a Lyman Tang Sight will not work on a Rossi. :(

Someone please tell me otherwise!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

"They wouldn't put it on the internet unless it were true!" LOL

I have seen quite a few posts on various forums where Lyman tang sights were mounted on Rossi made model 92 rifles.

I
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Augustus

Post by Augustus »

Rooster59 wrote:"They wouldn't put it on the internet unless it were true!" LOL. I have seen quite a few posts on various forums where Lyman tang sights were mounted on Rossi made model 92 rifles.
Thanks. Good to know. Mean while, here's the video.

[youtube][/youtube]
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Here's one of our threads that refers to the Rossi tang sight and a Marbles. The Rossi tang sight is listed for the model 62 but it also works on their model 92's.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1385

Not sure why this guy would want the Lyman since it isn't windage adjustable. Solder?! Guess he never heard of a drill and tap.

I have words to describe the guy in the video but my upbringing forbids me from typing them. To each his own.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Rtbender

Post by Rtbender »

With a little YouTube searching you can find the video where Tex shoots himself in the leg during an episode... Not a guy who's advise I'd take.