Need Help With Sight Selection

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
blbolin

Need Help With Sight Selection

Post by blbolin »

Well after reading the Rossi 92 site for quite a while and worrying that I would buy a 92 with all kinds of problems, I finally bought a 92 SS 16inch carbine in 38/357.
Taking it to range it is smooth and has worked flawlessly with any cartridge tried, it also shoots small groups. The only problem it shoots those groups about 5 to 6 inches high at 25 yards no matter what cartridge I use with the rear sights on the lowest adjustment. 25 to fifty yards is about all I will every shoot the rifle, but I would like to at least aim at the bulleye without guessing and holding somewhere below and maybe still have some adjust left in the rear site.
I have never had this problem before on any iron sight rifle I own. What are others using for a taller height front sight on their 16 inch carbines to correct this. Trying to go through charts and just pick out a front sight for this carbine would seem just like guesswork, any suggestions for an exact front sight that has worked from others who had a similar problem with this carbine/caliber combination. I want to keep the stock rear sight also.
Oh, the only other problem is you sure can go through a lot ammo with this carbine because its a fun rifle to shoot.
Thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Help With Sight Selection

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum bibolin. I spilt your post out into a new topic so it would stand out a bit more. I'm sure you will receive a helpful response.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I don't have a carbine in 357/38 but do have an 20" octagon barrel 45 colt R92. I bought new sights from Steve Gunz site and I'm using the front large ivory bead sight with the Winchester style rear buck horn sight which has worked out well for me at 25 yards on the lowest setting. I think these sights are by Marble but not sure. If you go to the Marble sight they show what high you need for the front and rear sights which I didn't do. Since the Steve Gunz site is only for the Rossi 92 I believe he has picked the sights that work best but can's swear to that as in honesty I just don't know. They did work great for me though but my stock sights also worked well other than it was hard for my old eyes to focus on the plain back from sight.
Joe
blbolin

Post by blbolin »

joec wrote:I don't have a carbine in 357/38 but do have an 20" octagon barrel 45 colt R92. I bought new sights from Steve Gunz site and I'm using the front large ivory bead sight with the Winchester style rear buck horn sight which has worked out well for me at 25 yards on the lowest setting. I think these sights are by Marble but not sure. If you go to the Marble sight they show what high you need for the front and rear sights which I didn't do. Since the Steve Gunz site is only for the Rossi 92 I believe he has picked the sights that work best but can's swear to that as in honesty I just don't know. They did work great for me though but my stock sights also worked well other than it was hard for my old eyes to focus on the plain back from sight.
I wrote to Steve also asking his suggestions as on his site no height is listed with any front sight he has for sale. I am sure with so many members on this site someone has had the same problem and can let us know what front sight choice they made to get the rifle on "target".
Thanks
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Since I like a plain post front sight I would suggest the Skinner. Then you could file it to suit your loadings.

It is hard to say what will work in height due to differences in rifles and the way individuals aim. For an exact height you can use a bit of electrical wire and some tape. Wrap the tape around the barrel and magazine to protect the finish. Wrap the wire around the barrel with an end sticking up to take the place of the sight. Since you are shooting high, it will have to be higher than your present sight. Then shoot and see where it hits. Cut the wire down until you get hits where you want them. Then measure the height of the wire with a caliper. This is a comparison so you can measure from the bottom of the magazine tube. Remove the wire and measure the height of the front sight. The difference between the two is how much higher of a front sight you need.
blbolin

Post by blbolin »

I realize I could just add something to the top of the front sight and experiment till I hit the sweet spot for front sight height. but if my new carbine shoots this high with no adjustment left with the rear sight with every factory load tried, I am sure others must have had the same problem with their 92 carbine in 38/357 and can relate to what brand and height of replacement front sight cured the problem.
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

The best I can offer is that since the existing sight is not good then maybe use some JB Weld to build it up and sand it down until you get it the right height and order one as close as you can get.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

blbolin wrote:I realize I could just add something to the top of the front sight and experiment till I hit the sweet spot for front sight height. but if my new carbine shoots this high with no adjustment left with the rear sight with every factory load tried, I am sure others must have had the same problem with their 92 carbine in 38/357 and can relate to what brand and height of replacement front sight cured the problem.
Or the wrong height sight was installed at the factory and few have had the problem you described.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
blbolin

Post by blbolin »

Rooster59 wrote:
blbolin wrote:I realize I could just add something to the top of the front sight and experiment till I hit the sweet spot for front sight height. but if my new carbine shoots this high with no adjustment left with the rear sight with every factory load tried, I am sure others must have had the same problem with their 92 carbine in 38/357 and can relate to what brand and height of replacement front sight cured the problem.
Or the wrong height sight was installed at the factory and few have had the problem you described.
I stopped by the store where I purchased the Rossi and they have four more Rossi M92 in various barrel lengths and calibers, and they all seem to be the same sight and the same height as on my rifle. I could be wrong in my comparisons but one thing was that none of the other rifles are carbines. Could the taper on the barrel of the carbine make a difference as the others the gun store had in stock were the octagon barrel which seems to be straight from front to rear.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Yes it could.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver