New Guy! New Rossi!

Tell us a bit about yourself!
flintstone808

New Guy! New Rossi!

Post by flintstone808 »

Well, I've just about decided to take the plunge. It will be tomorrow. There's a 92 carbine in .357 magnum (blued), I will buy. I'm gonna set it up 'scout' style. Already have a Nikon 2-7 power scout scope. Since I'm new to Rossi and the Puma, I would really appreciate any helpful advice on how to set it up. How to get it smooth shooting... Best ammo to use.... will be for javelina and the occasional doe or spike in south texas. Plan to keep all of my shots under 100 yards. Do you think it's too little gun? Debated about .44 magnum, but I want something that will accompany my .357 blackhawk. Plus, shooting my buddies marlin 44 mag pounded my shoulder more than I like.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks, guys!

Flintstone
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New Guy! New Rossi!

Post by akuser47 »

I like mine and I load my own I have not checked to see the energy my .357 mags have at 100yards. I think it will be fine In the 92 section there is plenty of info to get you started. I always suggest to remove buttstock and use break cleaner nonchlorinated to flush the action I always start with barrel and mag tube and then the action you will have to remove spring and follower in mag tube but this is easy flush until cleaner comes out clean. Then swab oil patch through mag tube and barrel to lub it and spray oil into your action to relube the internals the cleaner will have removed all previous oils and grease so you must reoil. work the action. and go shot it until you find what you need or want to do as in tuning it. Welcome to rossi rifleman
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It should work fine, mine has. The R92 chambered in 357 Mag was really the first rifle that interested me in the series. Just couldn't find one until I bought all the other chamberings. I'm shooting a 175-gain home cast bullet pushed along with 16.1-grains of Lil' Gun at 1800 FPS.
Michael
JackOAT

Post by JackOAT »

I have had AWESOME results with the LEVERevolution ammo from Hornady in 30-30 and 35 REM. Never had a Whitetail go more than 100 yds after hit! As soon as the sun, moon and stars align I will have a .357 M92 and that will be my first test!
JackOAT

Post by JackOAT »

From the Hornady site!

Rifle (18" Barrel) Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 50 100
1850/1064 1643/839 1458/660

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-14 ... evolution/

I think 100 yds. may be pushing it with a .357, but depending on marksmanship, and if it is a good shot (i.e. quartering away is my fav.) it isnt unreasonable.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

JackOAT wrote:I have had AWESOME results with the LEVERevolution ammo from Hornady in 30-30 and 35 REM. Never had a Whitetail go more than 100 yds after hit! As soon as the sun, moon and stars align I will have a .357 M92 and that will be my first test!
+1
The factory 160 grain FTX 30-30 LeveRevolution ammo is deadly accurate in my Rio Grande and the 325 grain FTX ammo is deadly accurate in my Browning BLR in 450 Marlin. Never tried either on game but I'm betting the 450 Marlin round pushing the 325 grain FTXs @ 2200 fps (~3500 ft-lbs) will just about lay a big buck flat out angling away or not. :mrgreen:
My only concern is meat destruction.......that almost 2 tons of ME has to go somewhere and hopefully there would be a good sized exit hole desirable for both tracking purposes and dissipating some of that massive ME payload in a tree stump or hillside rather than ventilating valuable venison .
I love that Hornady FTX ammo and it's not very expensive compared to other premium ammo. I got a whole bunch of the 450 Marlin stuff @ $28/box/20 rounds. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA