Does Rossi offer this configuration?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
j_smith898

Does Rossi offer this configuration?

Post by j_smith898 »

Hello, folks. I've been thinking of getting a Rossi M92 to go with my Cimarron Thunderer for some time now. However, the configuration I'm wanting doesn't seem to be offered, unless I am mistaken. What I'm wanting is:

- 45 LC
- 20" Blued round barrel
- Case-hardened frame w/ saddle ring

However, it seems that case-hardened frames are available only on models with octagonal barrels and sans the saddle ring. However, I came across this photo of an M92 on another forum bought from EMF which seems to meet all my requests:

Any chance of where such a model can be purchased? Am I just missing it on the EMF and Rossi websites? Thanks for your help, folks! :)
gc70

Re: Does Rossi offer this configuration?

Post by gc70 »

Chiappa and Cimmaron both have case-colored 20" carbines in .45 with saddle rings. Of course you may have to want one a lot; the Cimmaron lists at $1,168.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

The Chiappa 92s aren't that cheap either. But they do come with better fit and finish than what Rossi normally provides.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

The Cimmaron lever guns are made by Chiappa/Armi Sport, so they are practically speaking one and the same.

They are also quite nice, but about twice as expensive as a Rossi 92. Rossi lever guns are affordable because they don't spend as much time on fit and finish (or quality assurance to be truthful), but they are still a great value as with a careful pre purchase inspection, a little cleaning, some internal polish, and some Tru-oil will spiff them right up. Here is my 20" Model 92 in .45 Colt (57001):

The Armi-Sport/Chiappa/Cimmaron Model 92s are quite nice, and as noted above Cimmaron sells one in your desired configuration for $1,168.70.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/repeat ... ing-1.html

I have an Armi Sport Model 92 in a 24" takedown rifle configuration (no longer made) and I like it a lot.

I bought it in preference to a 20" Rossi Short Rifle (52203) or 24" Rifle (52003), because Rossi's octagon barrel rifle and short rifle configurations use a heavy, un-tapered barrel profile that really degrades the handling qualities of a Model 92. I wish Rossi would use one of the original Winchesters barrel profiles. Winchester's standard octagon barrel on the model 92 was 27/32" at the breech and 23/32" at the muzzle (24" rifle), while the rapid taper octagon profile was 57/64" at the breech and 35/64 at the muzzle.

Failing that, I'd be happy with another 20" carbine (57001), but with a color case hardened receiver and lever.
j_smith898

Post by j_smith898 »

Thank you all for your responses. However, I'm confused by the fact that the owner specifically said that that particular rifle was a bonafide Rossi M92 from EMF and not a Chiappa or Cimarron. Perhaps it was just a limited run by EMF ... ?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

j_smith898 wrote:Thank you all for your responses. However, I'm confused by the fact that the owner specifically said that that particular rifle was a bonafide Rossi M92 from EMF and not a Chiappa or Cimarron. Perhaps it was just a limited run by EMF ... ?
I suspect so, leaving the only source of them being those that are currently in the hands of another. Might have to start watching GunBroker, etc.
Michael
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

According to the Navy Arms catalog that I used to show the LGS what I wanted to special order when I ordered my 1892, the Navy Arms 1892 carbine (which was made by Rossi) came in case finished with saddle ring and 20" round barrel. Calibers were 357 Mag, 44-40 or 45 Colt. All this and with American walnut wood and better fit and finish than the Rossi norm. So they're out there, but Navy Arms 1892s don't come up for sale very often. But at least you have another option to look for.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

j_smith898 wrote:Thank you all for your responses. However, I'm confused by the fact that the owner specifically said that that particular rifle was a bonafide Rossi M92 from EMF and not a Chiappa or Cimarron. Perhaps it was just a limited run by EMF ... ?
Rossi used to make the Model 92 for Interarms before Interarms folded in the mid 1990s, as well as for Navy Arms and EMF. Both Navy Arms and EMF have been around since the mid 1950's, so there are rifles and carbines out there that have been discontinued and are not currently cataloged.

In general there were some qualitative differences in them based on the level and type of metal finish, walnut or birch stock, etc, requested by the re-seller, along with differences in configuration as requested by the re-seller. I'd have to check old catalogs but it's likely the carbine in question is a model that was discontinued by EMF.