R92 480 Ruger Tru-Oil Finish

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R92 480 Ruger Tru-Oil Finish

Post by Ranch Dog »

It started like this, the wood almost black. It looked painted or almost like a synthetic stock.

I tried leaching the color with mineral spirits and gave up. I then lightly wet sanded the wood with a 180-grit block until I thought it would be light enough. While sanding I tested my desired color with a fresh water rinse as the shade with the clear water is what it is going to look like with Tru-Oil.

Once happy with the coloring, I buffed the wood with wet 0000 steel wool, cleaned with a tack cloth, and applied the Tru-Oil per the instructions. I let it dry overnight mainly because I have a lot of other things to do. I applied four coats in the same manner. The day after the fourth coat I very lightly buffed it with the wet 0000 steel wool and then polished it the the Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen. This product took the glare off the wood and made the finish even deeper. Then, I used the BC wax as a protective finish.

I have a bunch of Rossi's to go and I think this is the steps that I will work through. I'm trying to knock out one a week so that they are all ready by hunting season.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: R92 480 Ruger Tru-Oil Finish

Post by pricedo »

Nice job !
Beautiful patterning in the wood and the butt stock and forearm look like they came from the same tree.
Your finishing really brought out the natural beauty of the wood.
Congrats. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Nice job !
Beautiful patterning in the wood and the butt stock and forearm look like they came from the same tree.
Your finishing really brought out the natural beauty of the wood.
I think I will go back to the two rifles I've already finished and do the buff with the Stock Sheen & Conditioner to flatten the finish just the tad that it did. Next week, I decided to tackle not only another R92 but also one of my RGs and the Wizard. It takes so little time I might as well do three at once.
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Beauty. Looks like a big bucks stock from a custom rifle shop.