R92 45 Colt vs. TruOil

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R92 45 Colt vs. TruOil

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finished up my R92 45 Colt's furniture. Finally had some time to put it all back together last night. I probably spent less than an hour on this. Just about 7 minutes a day for four days. I started by buffing it will 0000 steel wool and then applying the TruOil as it should go on. A little bit at a time and feeling it soak in with your fingers. Surface should be dry and slightly tacky at the end of the application. Each day, buffed again and applied another coat.

Here is what the forearm looked like before the work...

... and after the work. The stock from my 44 Mag is in the foreground for comparison. It has the same flat dull finish.

Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: R92 45 Colt vs. TruOil

Post by joec »

Now that looks really good and where do you find TruOil? I've looked at some MinWax Gunstock stain that I've thought about using on my rifles. I did do a Colt 45 SAA grip with it a while back to see if I liked it.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Those stocks look fantastic !
I like mine a little darker like the natural "black walnut" that is on my "Yellowboy" Commemorative 94 & achieved that by putting the Tru-Oil on over the generic Rossi "shoe polish" finish.
The surface of the stock was the artists easel if you will where I blended the oil and shoe polish pigment.
Gives the gun that right out of a 1960s "duster" movie legacy look that I love.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

So Ranch. let me get this straight. The only thing you did to this stock before applying the TruOil was to buff it with the steel wool?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

johnreilly wrote:So Ranch. let me get this straight. The only thing you did to this stock before applying the TruOil was to buff it with the steel wool?
Yes that is correct and then be sure you remove all the dust with a clean tack cloth. Take a the cloth and cut it in about a 4" square. Use one side each for the forearm and butt stock and then throw it away. Pay attention to the detailed instructions of using the TruOil. The surface of the oil exposed to air will get thickness to it and you do not want to use that. You want a small hole in the foil on the bottleneck and store the bottle upside down. Use a small amount in a small cup, only the amount that you will use within a few minutes, add to the cup if necessary. Throw what is left in the cup away. You just need a very little bit in the cup to work the stock.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Looks real good!!! I still have to finish mine one of these days... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Thanks I ordered it, the sealer and wax. Now I can do my two rossi rifles, 2 shot guns and 2 pistol grips. Been holding off till I found a finish I liked and this is the closest I've seen to date.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If you follow the instructions you will be pleased with your results. Keep us all posted, +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This evening I sit very pleased with the dried first coat of Tru-Oil on my R92 480 Ruger. These rifles came with a "black" stained stock, most dark, some very dark. Mine was so black that when I bought it on GunBroker at the "Buy It Now" price, I thought someone had put a synthetic stock on it. I knew if asked that question and waited for a reply, the gun would be gone so I bought anyway.

I tried to leech the stain out with mineral spirits but in the end that did little. I decided if it was a water based stain the only way to thin it would be to add water. I started to soak it and lightly sand it with a 180 grain block with no pressure behind it. Just wanted to try to work the water into the wood while constantly rinsing the slurry off. Worked like a charm and took very little time. It dried to my liking in my conditioned room and I applied the first coat tonight. This coat really soaked in and dried in no time but I'm going to let it sit.

The black is gone and I'm left with a deep walnut appearance. The forearm has some very dark and interesting character to it.

From here I will stop with the sanding and just polish it with 0000 steel wool between coats.
Michael