black powder

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

black powder

Post by twobitokie »

Does it matter if you use 2F or 4f? I have some of both.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: black powder

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Depends on the usage...
Ruger states you can safely load the Old Army revolver cylinders full and compressed with any black powder which includes 4F. Load a Colt Dragoon with that load and you probably will not be shooting that Dragoon again.
Too much 4F can take apart some guns .The same amount volume of 4F in a 45 Colt case as compared to 2F can be double the pressure and split a SAA cylinder. 4F is designed to be used as primer in the flash pan of flintlocks(3F works just as well in my flinters). 4F also is used in some very small muzzle loaders in very small amounts.
So add a few more details to this question and we can advise a bit better.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: black powder

Post by joec »

I use FFg only in my 45 colt and 45-70. FFFFg is for flintlock priming pan only. Other use may be dangerous and Fg is used for mortar/canon/fireworks etc.

It is a lot of fun to shoot but some things to know are black powder should be compressed either by the bullet or with wads. Cleaning should be done with non petrochemical products with soap and water being the best followed by a good oil. I use Ballistol on mine but also made up a batch of Murphy's soap and alcohol. It shoots well from my Rossi 92 and RG buy the way but takes a bit of attention to detail when cleaning.

Here is a good site for black powder loading and shooting products. http://www.buffaloarms.com/Content.aspx ... k%20Powder
Joe