38-55 Win Rio Grande Smacks a Hog

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

38-55 Win Rio Grande Smacks a Hog

Post by Ranch Dog »

Had a pretty good "Rossi Kind of Day" by solving two issues with existing rifles. The first was a feed issue that cropped up with my R92 454 Casull, solved it and then replaced a saddle ring on my R92 45 Colt that had issue with an aftermarket ring & loop assembly. The latter will lead be to "ringing" both my 454 Casull and 480 Ruger in the coming weeks. Both of these were "wins" that I will detail with some pictures later this week.

I topped my Rossi day off by shooting a nice boar about 30 minutes before dark with the Rio Grande that I had JES rebore/rechamber to 38-55 Win. Made the 60 yard shot with my 250-grain bullet which knocked him off his feet and out.

Yesterday was a "Taurus Kind of Day", shot the heck out of my pistols with my stepson and daughter. Two days in a row playing with Braztec products. Life is good!
Michael
Deleted User 547

Re: 38-55 Win Rio Grande Smacks a Hog

Post by Deleted User 547 »

What's the hog count up to?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

prsman23 wrote:What's the hog count up to?
Only 15 for the ranch this year, I have shot 6 of them. The idea behind all the feral hog killing is to take them out of the food chain so the native game, the whitetail, isn't in second place especially in light of the three year drought we are locked into. Seems to be working as I saw 11 bucks walk up the dry creek bed I was watching. Two of those fellows were outstanding mature bucks.

I've also noted that we are killing middle age boars. These are fellows that are looking for territory, better said, they are newcomers. They will travel in a light sounder like the four I observed and split off when they find what we like. What we are not seeing are sows, I don't think they are around as we are placing too much stress on the hogs through hunting. Perfect. I don't mind the sows and their baggage around at this time of year because I can shoot one and her piglets will keep the coyotes on their feet hunting them down rather than fawns.
Michael
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

Well done. I'm not a hunter, but I'd take it up if feral hogs were a problem here. Not yet...
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Wow what a day!!! Life is Good.

I can't wait to drop a hog with the 45-70. My trail cams are showing noting but Boars the last few weeks. They were running around midnight but starting last week they were showing up right before dark. Great job.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson