Sparrow Splattering

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
357cyrus

Sparrow Splattering

Post by 357cyrus »

A pair of english sparrows tried to take over my Martin house today. One of them took the bullet, the other took the hint and left. 10th one this year. Center of mass hit with one of those vmax bullets is devastating. That was from about 40-45 yards off the window sill. Not too shabby for the old 22mag Mossberg Chuckster
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sparrow Splattering

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's funny! What is even funnier is that I been trying to justify a Rio Grande 410 through the amount of sparrow and barn swallow shooting I could do this time of year!
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Sparrows and everything else except starlings get a pass around here. Those 8.3 gr. pellets from a Daisy single-pump rifle have very different results. Sometimes the target falls down dead and other times it takes another shot on the ground to anchor them. Tough critters but I should have enough bagged now to be baked in a pie!
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Those gussied up pellet guns that kick out .177 or .22 pellets well over 1000 fps will anchor a sparrow or squirrel solid without a whole bunch of unnecessary lead shot contamination landing in the soil to eventually return to us through the water table in the form of dissolved lead salts.
I have even killed Ruffed & Spruce Grouse quite successfully with the hyper-velocity pellet guns.
The pellet guns are the ultimate economical game harvesting firearm with no other components than the projectile being required except the ordinary air around us.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

I'd rather ride a moped to the prom than hunt with a pellet gun!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

357cyrus wrote:I'd rather ride a moped to the prom than hunt with a pellet gun!
If you move to the city better gas up your moped.
I have a pellet rifle that pushes a .177 cal pellet to 1700 fps.
Squirrels, even the big ones don't take another step.
If you're knocking off pests in the city with your neighbor within cinder block throwing distance you're not going to be popping off that 410.
I have a Bushnell 22 scope mounted on my PG.
I recall shooting a coupla noisy crows that habitually perched on the fences and wires around the house making a heck of a racket.
One dropped in the neighbors yard and later that day he brought it over and showed it to me & asked "wonder what killed this thing?"......I replied "must be that deadly bird flu going around that had killed so many people".
He dropped the bird like it was a coiled rattle snake and rushed to the water sprinkler and scrubbed his hands.
I still have the welt on my leg from pinching myself that day to keep from laughing.
Piled up alotta nuisance crows and squirrels with that gun and often sit behind the open window curtains target practicing on flocks of sparrows when they visit.
The neighbors are none the wiser after all these years.
They NEVER see the gun.

Pellet guns - "peace through quieter firepower" :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

My only reason to use the pellet rifle is the absence of any noise that sounds like a shot being fired. When shooting, folks try to keep the muzzle inside the house, which I understand keeps most associated noises inside. In PA we are not allowed to hunt with air guns and nobody seems to give a darn about that regulation. When my son was growing up he had a Sheridan pump-up air gun. That thing had the power to kill cats and the accuracy to put the pellet exactly where aimed. If I lived in the wide open spaces like Ranch Dog I wouldn't even own an air rifle.

357cyrus, that crack about driving a moped to the prom cracked me up. Good one!
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Around my city place pest control happens with a pellet gun or not at all.
No desire to be looking down the barrels of the MP-5s of the local police SWAT.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Yeah, sorry couldn't resist, all in good fun though. I do know those pellet guns are nothing to take lightly. I learned to shoot with one that you were supposed to pump like 10 times...but i used to pump it about 20 times and it would blast through 3/4" plywood! Every now and then I think about getting one to keep in my deerstand so I can bag squirrels during archery season. Last year I was dumping buckets of acorns out for the deer. My trail camera showed me the fox squirrels were gorging on most of them. By the end of the season there were about half a dozen that looked like redheaded woodchucks! Too bad my wife detests eating them.
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

pricedo wrote: Pellet guns - "peace through quieter firepower" :mrgreen:
I laughed out loud at that one!
:-D