Rear Sight Drifting

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
357cyrus

Rear Sight Drifting

Post by 357cyrus »

Tried to drift out the rear sight on my 92 this evening and couldn't get the thing to budge. Musta whacked her pretty good about 2 dozen times from both sides, with no noticeable movement. Is there something else I need to remove or just try a little harder?
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Rear Sight Drifting

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I do not have the 92 I would think it would be the same as any other rear sight. It slides in the rear dovetail. When I removed mine from my Rio Grande to put the Skinner sights on it took some effort to get the rear sight out of the dovetail. I used a punch and hammer and it did take several good hits to get it moving.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:I do not have the 92 I would think it would be the same as any other rear sight. It slides in the rear dovetail. When I removed mine from my Rio Grande to put the Skinner sights on it took some effort to get the rear sight out of the dovetail. I used a punch and hammer and it did take several good hits to get it moving.
Ball peen hammer, brass or nylon drift punch, padded vise.
Remove by holding the edge of the punch against the base of the dovetail wedge and striking the punch with the hammer in the direction perpendicular to the axis of the barrel and parallel to the slip-plane formed by the base of the sight.
I generally install dovetails from right to left and remove from left to right.
Makes sure the vise has a secure grip on the barrel directly under the dovetail and not just the tube magazine so that the only mobile part of the gun will be the base and blade of the sight being removed.
You don't want to be applying pressure or pounding torque to the delicate magazine tube.
CAUTION: Some suggest solutions involving differential heating..........applying heat to pressure bearing gun parts is a job for experts only.
Sights and bases that have been "heat sweated" or :mrgreen: glued :mrgreen: in place will likely have to be removed by a gunsmith using special impact tools and it is not a job for neophytes & amateurs Image .
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

I've been using steel punches cause that's all I have at the momment. Could that be a reason?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

357cyrus wrote:I've been using steel punches cause that's all I have at the momment. Could that be a reason?
If you're looking for a reason for any fresh dings on the barrel and sight that would definitely be the cause. :mrgreen:
The softer than gun metal brass/nylon punch tips are used to protect the steel of the sight and the gun from impact dings. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:I've been using steel punches cause that's all I have at the momment. Could that be a reason?
Yikes! If the alloy of the sight is softer than the alloy of the punch, yes. You could cause the sight to "bump" tight into the dovetail. Have you ever got a lead bullet stuck in a bullet sizer, same principle.

I would get a brass punch and try to move opposite the way you have been working it. I would take it totally out and see how it goes back in. If it binds, stop and start dressing only one side with a fine triangle file. Maintain the angle of the site base.
Michael
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Thanks, only a very small nick on the barrel, barelly through the bluing. The sight didn't look marred that I remember... Didn't really beat on it that hard. Just glad I asked before I started wailing away!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Short piece of hard wood dowel makes a good punch for this work as well. If it doesn't work one way, try the other.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Short piece of hard wood dowel makes a good punch for this work as well. If it doesn't work one way, try the other.
If the hardwood dowel splits it can be recycled as tooth picks. :mrgreen:
I find brass drift punches to be the best.
The nylon punches while very strong are a bit "bouncy" and will sometimes deflect off the target area.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
357cyrus

Post by 357cyrus »

Just wanted to give an update for those who may also struggle getting their rear sight out. Removing the sight got put on the backburner for a while. Finally last week I got a set of brass punches and went to work. Started with the basic plastic/brass mallet with no luck, ruined a new 3/16th brass punch. Tried letting some penetrating oil soak in for a few days, then a 1lb dead blow mallet with a bigger punch...ruined that punch too. Called my closest gunsmith and he said all he was gonna do was beat on it harder and harder until it came loose. So I tried the next biggest punch again with the 1lb and really ruined that one...even had the front sight come out from me whackin the rear one so hard. One punch left, the 9/16th. Figured I'd give that one a few good beatings with a 3lb hammer and if that didn't work I was gonna cut a notch in the sight to relieve some pressure. Luckily it didn't have to come to that. Two heavy blows from that 3lber and out she came. Had a beer and called it a night. Hopefully installing that ghost ring goes a little smoother!