RG Bolt Disassembly

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ray384
Founding Member
Founding Member

RG Bolt Disassembly

Post by Ray384 »

Has anyone disassembled the bolt on a RG. I am getting misfires pretty regular, which somewhat disturbs my concentration. I was able to get the short part of the firing pin out without a problem. I removed the pin holding the long part, but between the firing pin and the spring that pushes against the short piece, I could not get it removed. Am I missing some kind of trick?

When you get all three parts put back together there is a lot of friction, which could slow it down. I have ordered a extra power spring for a Marlin, hopefully it will help.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RG Bolt Disassembly

Post by akuser47 »

I haven't tore one down but in many other fire arms I have polished up the firing pin and any bearing surfaces that could slows its forward momentum. Though a stronger spring may fix your problem it could also be to much so check your rounds and be sure your primers do not get pierced. Which should not happen anyways if the firing pin is in spec. keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

At the bench, I occasionally see a light primer strike with both my RG and Marlins. It happens when I'm really concentrating on the target and end up with weak pressure on the trigger. Probably seen it two dozen times out of 5000 rounds. Only at the bench, never in the field.

Only once with the RG, my 38-55 Win, under the same set up. It kind of surprised me as I have quite a few rounds down range with my rifles. In the rifle's defense, I'm using "pulled" primers from some old 356 Win factory ammo I had. I pulled every thing, sold the bullets and brass, then used up the primers. That might have something to do with it.

Keep us posted with your results, you are the first here on the forum with this issue.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Ray;
When you say misfire I will assume the firing pin is hitting the primer and the indentation from the firing pin is very shallow on the primer. That is what mine was doing before I located the problem for mine. When I had a misfire if I pulled the hammer back again and pulled the trigger it would fire every time.
I looked at the primer and could see the firing pin was not making a solid hit on the primer. I suspected the bolt needed a good cleaning and polish the firing pin body.

I have the RG in 45-70 so I do not know which RG you have. With the bolt on your working surface you will remove the Allen screw from the rear of the bolt. This will allow you take out a small piece from the rear of the bolt Then remove the spring steel case extractor from the front of the bolt. With that off you will see another pin that needs to be driven out. Unless my memory is giving out on me…lol. After removing the second pin the firing pin assemble should drop out. I will say after I polished the firing pin itself it moved inside the bolt with ease.

I reassembled the bolt, but had some doubts that was my problem. It did operate much smoother for sure. When the trigger was pulled the hammer did not go as far forward as I thought it should. I took a flat file and squared up the lower sidewall section of the hammer and then polished the section I filed. This area comes into contact with the other internal parts within the receiver. When I reassembled everything the hammer would now travel forward the proper distance to push the firing pin in enough to leave a solid indentation in the primer. Problem solved for me.

DIYRG
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

If I lost you somewhere I would be more than happy to tear mine down and takes some photos. At this point I believe I could disassemble and reassemble the rifle blind folded like we used to do in the Army... :D For all my Army buddies you notice I did not say Gun :lol:

Ray384
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Ray384 »

I cannot get the long pin with the small spring out of the bolt. It is a .30/30.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Are there any other pins holding it in place? Or maybe it is just good and stuck. Without seeing it up close I have no idea what your bolt looks like. Attached is something I put together of what I found and what worked for me. I hope I have not over stepped my bounds and if I have I apologize in advance and just remove the document.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ray384
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Ray384 »

I think that it is good and stuck. I know that I got the pin and Allen screw out. I wish they had copied the exact size of the Marlin firing pin, then I could replace it with a one piece firing pin. I'll have to see if the new hammer spring does any better.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Are there any other pins holding it in place? Or maybe it is just good and stuck. Without seeing it up close I have no idea what your bolt looks like. Attached is something I put together of what I found and what worked for me. I hope I have not over stepped my bounds and if I have I apologize in advance and just remove the document.
No reason to apologize, thanks for posting the information it should be a help.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ray384 wrote:I think that it is good and stuck. I know that I got the pin and Allen screw out. I wish they had copied the exact size of the Marlin firing pin, then I could replace it with a one piece firing pin. I'll have to see if the new hammer spring does any better.
You have taken both the pin and the allen plug out?
RG_bolt.jpg
I honestly would be surprised if any of the Marlin parts or aftermarket parts work as everything in the RG that I have come across is a different dimension. Please keep us posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael