What polishes work best for you on chrome?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

What polishes work best for you on chrome?

Post by akuser47 »

I have been a fan of never dull, flitz, metal glo, even brasso. I am thinking of trying blue magic metal polish looks promising I have some freckling on my shocks and luggage rack on my bike and am just curious what you have used on chrome? Riding season is here and I am happy +guns now just need to tend to my bike a bit and fix the freckling before it pits the chrome.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: What polishes work best for you on chrome?

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Ok you got me AK..... is this a test or a question? :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Flitz has worked the best for me. They also make a straight gun wax with no other chemicals.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Actaully just curious what anyone has used on chrome that has rust freckling on it. Trying to see if I have missed anything. :)
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I have tried most of them. I kind of like the dead bug look.. :lol: I got a small pump sprayer and put some dishwasher jet dry in it mixed with water to spray the whole bike off after a wash. Really did a nice job of reducing water spots and streaks. I hated to polish chrome..... Spend hours polishing then 10 minutes after I went for a ride there were bug guts everywhere.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:I have tried most of them. I kind of like the dead bug look.. :lol: I got a small pump sprayer and put some dishwasher jet dry in it mixed with water to spray the whole bike off after a wash. Really did a nice job of reducing water spots and streaks. I hated to polish chrome..... Spend hours polishing then 10 minutes after I went for a ride there were bug guts everywhere.
Yea I know what you mean I don't want to be a guy that spend more than 10 hours a week polishing and cleaning rather than being in the saddle ridding her. I have been debating flat black finish on all my chrome. blacked out bikes look sweet. May just wrap the pipes and then just deal with the rest. I always ride with a spray bottle of pledge multi surface in my bag to deal with big nasty bug splatters then eagle wet spray wax which is a liqiud wax that is good on plexi chrome and paint. wipe on wipe off and she looks wet and sexy.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well let me testify to the magic of blue magic amazing product. Little effort and the freckling was gone. Few more stuburn spots but nothing that made me sweat. Looks amazing. Blue magic is awesome!
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

Akuser, not sure what you mean by "freckling"(a pic would sure be nice to understand this term). Other wise navel jelly will remove rust from chrome or any other rusted surface, what is left behind varies on the amount of damage though.

I usually use nothing special on the chrome on my bike. Unless you are refering to a neglected part regular wax removes hardwater spots easily.
I did have an issue with my old ironhead bluing the cheap chrome on the pipes, I used a product called Bluejob, it was a powder that when mixed with small amounts of water would remove most of the light bluing in the chrome(but it took some elbow grease to get it there).

Then again...I don't ride a show queen...my Electraglide gets very dirty! Love the miles not the shine!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I always say freckling as the small rust spots that can occur on chrome and it seems to be mainly on my cobra luggage rack. A little not much on my chrome shocks I have already removed with the blue magic polish it almost rubbed right off with this neverdull didn't even work as good.
Fullthrottle

Post by Fullthrottle »

Oh I see. That kind of thing happens on poor quality chrome jobs. I know this from experience. Even the "Harley" chrome dodads that the factory sell as add ons are not the greatest quality(made in China, ring a bell)?

If you want a good quality chrome job I have found it better to research a good local guy, If he is good, you will not have that problem again!