Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Post by pricedo »

Can't complain about 100 yard 3-shot groups like that from a brush bustin big bore not made for accuracy.
I've read posts from shooters bragging about groups twice that size at 50 yards.
I buy good quality equipment and the other side of that coin is that I expect good results.
Lots would be happy with the 2 1/2" 3-shot @ 100 yard groups I achieved earlier in the week with the Win 94/450 at 50 yards but I'm not.......not after dropping $1200 on the counter!
I got less than 1" @ 100 yard groups consistently with the Browning BLR/450 that I replaced the scope on this morning. I shot 2 x @20 round boxes of the Hornady 450 Marlin 325 grain FTX ammo with it. Cadillac guns don't seem to kick as much as their more modest pedigree counterparts.......probably because of the Pachmayr recoil pad.
I'm going to try the Win 94TE/450 with different ammo tomorrow.
Will drop it off at my gun smiths for a trigger hone job next week.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Never let pricedo loose in a gun shop

Post by pricedo »

6 shot group (pattern :( ) shot at 100 yards with Winchester 94TE/450 using the factory Hornady 450 Marlin 350 grain FP ammo. About the same results as I got shooting the 325 grain FTX ammo last week.
All inside the 2" circle (visible behind the fluorescent orange tape) on the target paper..........good enough for hunting but nothing to write home about and nowhere near as accurate as the 2 x Guide Guns and the BLR shot earlier this week.
Having said that, I'd definitely take the gun hog, deer, elk, moose hunting.
Incidentally, I've never shot a group worth mentioning with a gun with a ported barrel and this gun has a ported barrel like the very first Guide Guns that rolled off the CT JM factory assembly lines a few years back. I was all set back then to buy a Guide Gun but balked when I heard the barrels were ported. If I'd had the choice I'd have opted for a conventional non-ported barrel on the 94TE.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA