At Least it's Powder

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

At Least it's Powder

Post by mr surveyor »

It's not much, but I felt lucky to find anything locally. My son and I ran out to the gun shop this afternoon to pick up a few things and while there I decided to rummage through the few cans of less than popular powders pushed back in the corner of the powder cabinet. I knew there was no Unique or 2400 (I bought the last of the 2400 a couple months ago) but thought there might be something I could make do out of necessity in something I load for. Lo and behold, I found what I think is the last pound of AA#9 in existence. For $36, I walked out of the shop with my precious pound of black gold dust and 2 five round boxes of 20 ga #3 Buck. My son wasn't so lucky as he was in serious need of some factory 9mm for license qual on Saturday. That stuff has gone past the endangered species list to the extinction list around here. But, our shop buddy got a big order in this morning .... he got 5 (FIVE) boxes from his distributor's total allotment of 20 (TWENTY) boxes, and he paid dearly for it. My son ended up not so happily walking out the door for the same $36.

In the past, I have successfully used AA#7 for my jacketed .357 and .44 rounds, and tinkered a bit with it with cast boolits (including .45 acp), but still being a reload rookie I haven't gotten around to the AA#9. I know it's a pretty common powder with plenty of load data for most all of what I load for, so hopefully it will be as handy as my favorites.

Any comments, good or bad, concerning AA#9?

surv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: At Least it's Powder

Post by ironhead7544 »

#9 burns clean. Have used it in 357 Mag, 44 Spl and 44 Mag. #9 gave highest velocity with 187 gr WFPGC bullet in 357 Mag. Doesnt leave unburned powder to jam a S&W extractor like 2400 and 296. Good stuff.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Thanks. That was what I was expecting from #9 since the #7 I've used quite a bit of has been exceptionally clean.

I'm glad to find another powder to put in the cabinet that can serve various caliber needs.

How about #9 for the M92 .44 mag. and cast boolits? Clean? Efficient?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
#9 is right at that burn speed of 2400 which makes it good for upper velocity loads with heavy bullets.
With 10-11 grains # 9 with 180 gc should be moving along about 1000 - 1100 fps in a caliber .357 handgun. Same load in a carbine should give an additional 350 fps. Years back I sold all my 44 stuff when I went with 41 Mag and 45 Colt.
You may know Accurate is now Western Powders but still very helpful people. When I did load tests in a 50-95 with 5477 they were very helpful and happily fed me all the load info I desired. A phone call to 406 234 0422 and ask for reoading info.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Havent used it in my present 44 Mag R92s but it worked just fine in my Marlin CB1894. Havent been able to get any #9 lately.
Wills Point Pete

Post by Wills Point Pete »

I've had good luck in .45 Colt using the "Ruger and TC loads". Accuracy as good as anything and better than some, velocity is somewhat lower than H110, maybe a hundred and fifty lower at max book loads, this in a 24 inch Rossi '92.

As to whether or not it's dirtier than other powders, I dunno. I have to clean the shootin' irons anyway so, who cares? It ain't like I'm gonna shoot 'til the barrel is super hot and then pour coffee into it and heat it up. And I shoot a lot of black powder cartridges in Cowboy Action so I don't get the vapors at the thought of cleaning the rifle.