From Winchester and Marlin to Rossi

Tell us a bit about yourself!
KD0JKV

From Winchester and Marlin to Rossi

Post by KD0JKV »

In 1972 I literally cut my teeth on the bones of a Moose dropped by my father with his model 94 Winchester .44 mag. I later popped my first white tail with the family Marlin .30-30 in 1983. Nearly 30 years ago dad promised to give me his Winchester and Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag combo,when he was done with them (meaning when he is dead). So, I always assumed I would be a lifelong Winchester/Marlin snob, and would never own any other lever guns. In a recent conversation with my father he revealed that he hadn't shot the Winchester in almost 15 years. I then decided to ask if I could go ahead and claim the Winchester. He said, "Oh, I gave that to your little sister." It turned out that while I was serving a 2 year mission in Portugal, my baby sister turned 12 and wanted to start shooting and going hunting with her father. She very quickly became more proficient with the Winchester than I ever was. I could not begrudge him the joy of giving his Winchester to his only other child that took an interest in shooting with dad. Nor, could I deny her the joy and memories that she will enjoy when she receives the rifle that her father thought her to shoot with. Sence he already gave me all of the other long guns, I cant complain to much.

So I began my search for a Model 94 and started getting very depressed as I learned that to get a pre 1964 version I'd have to pay at least $1200 or $800 to $1000 for a post 1964 version. That is when I stumbled upon a listing for a Rossi M92 for under $500. That is how I started on the path to Rossi, at first all the reviews I found were not positive at all. Rough actions, major feeding problems and total failure to feed .357 Mag, ect... Until I found this forum and your tip for and action job by StevesGunz or his DIY kit. It also lead to a great deal of positive reviews for the Rossi M92 post action job, for Steve's work and for his DIY kit.

I have taken the plunge. I just put a Rossi M92 SS 16" trapper chambered in .38/.357 on layaway. Ill be picking it up by the end of the month and already have StevesGunz DIY kit on order. I'm still trying to decide on either StevesGunz safety replacement peep sight or the Skinner forward mount ed peep sight. Some incite from the forum would be appreciated on that matter.

I am still in line to get the Blackhawk when Dad is done with it. So I at some point in the near future will also be getting a M92 in .44 Mag and a RG 4570 probably has my name on it in the future as well.

New from Colorado and on the path to becoming a Rossi fan.

Boyce
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: From Winchester and Marlin to Rossi

Post by Arktikos »

Hi Boyce and welcome to the group! I would bet that if you have a little bit of patience and do what is needed to it (no, likely it wont be perfect right out of the box like the 1200 dollar ones are) you will be okay with your new Rossi, and if its really a botched one you can always return it. I hope it all works out as well as my 92 454 Casull has for me! It is my favorite gun...
Be sure to let us know how it works...
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure or a bushel of patience.
Check your prospective purchase thoroughly before finalizing the transaction and if you can't do that buy the gun from a dealer with a written money back (dealer pays the shipping) policy so that you don't get stuck with a lemon. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum Boyce! Interesting read! I have no doubt you will like the Rossi.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome to the leverloution here.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Welcome from SW GA. With a little work the Rossi 92 is the way to go. My collection is growing. Will most likely end up with at least all the calibers. My 44 Mag short rifle is a lot more accurate than the 44 Mag M94 Winchester I had. Plenty of good info on tuning here.
KD0JKV

Post by KD0JKV »

Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum.

Boyce
-Thomas Jefferson
KEN CO

Post by KEN CO »

KD0JKV,
Welcome to the forum and glad to see another CO person here.

Right now I jsut have marlins but want a 92 in 454.

I'm south of Denver in Highlands Ranch.
aka: KD5LHG

Ken
KD0JKV

Post by KD0JKV »

Thanks Ken we Colorado hams need to stick together.
-Thomas Jefferson
scottz

Post by scottz »

Welcome from another owner in Colorado, I'm in Littleton.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk HD