Casting defect in finger lever

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Doc_Floyd

Casting defect in finger lever

Post by Doc_Floyd »

I picked up a new RG4570SS last evening and disassembled it for cleaning and polishing - after removing the Weaver rail and installing Skinner sights and ss plugs for the two forward screws, I began working on the bolt/carrier/lever. Examination of the finger lever revealed a casting defect in the tab which inserts into the bolt. (Shaped similar to an aspirin, and not quite that thick, this one is avulsed on the forward side and is about as narrow as a knife blade.

A call to Rossi this morning reveals: (a) The lever is a "restricted part." (b) They will not replace it. (c) It would be necessary to remove the Skinner sights, re-install the Weaver rail and send the entire weapon back to Rossi "to be repaired." A "call-back" by a supervisor is scheduled "within 24-48 hours."

A wiser policy would be to either (a) send me another, or (b) send me another and charge me, until I returned the original, or (c) hold a CC number until I returned the original.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket source to purchase a new lever? Or, does anyone have a personal contact in Rossi who can help?

DIYRG
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Casting defect in finger lever

Post by Ranch Dog »

You haves picture you can post? I have a picture on mine on the forum. It is different than the lever on the RG3030 and is very much as you described.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I found the picture

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

I'm out hunting with my RG4570B right now!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I found the picture

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

I'm out hunting with my RG4570B right now!
You lucky ... ! :D
Some of us are still knee deep in snow and winter doldrums. :twisted:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:You lucky ... ! :D
Some of us are still knee deep in snow and winter doldrums. :twisted:
Yeah, I sure am. I was talking to Tom Myers, the reloading software guy up in MN, and it had just risen above freezing. it was exactly 80° here.

I just saw deer. Joe, a friend of mine, killed a nice boar of 200 pounds. He killed a similar hog yesterday evening as well.
Joes_hog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Doc_Floyd

Post by Doc_Floyd »

First, Ranch Dog, thanks for the post - and taking the time. While the overall dimensions appear the same, there is still evidence of a casting defect; perhaps it will be okay nonetheless.

Second, Rossi's position on not making parts available to customers is firm; though I have contacted the Director of Customer Service and the COO, as it is not a cost-effective policy, nor one designed to make satisfied customers - nor is legally required as customers could waive any potential claim for a self-installed item.

Third, as to the finger lever - I polished it, as well as the entire action, and cycled the weapon last evening for 700 cycles. It is reasonably smooth.

Fourth, the single remaining issue is substantial: The weapon cannot yet be fired, because the loading gate is so incredibly stiff that I can't get cartridges into the magazine. Therefore, I will need either to again tear it down and remove the loading gate, and ever-so-gently relieve some metal from the spring portion (running the risk of removing too much so that Rossi will require the weapon to be returned to them), or finding a lever-action guy in the Houston area who will do the job. The latter is difficult, as other than the major shops, I don't know a cowboy action type gunsmith in Houston (and Port Arthur is a ways away), for whom this task would not be his "first rodeo." I am not pleased with expending more monies on a brand new weapon.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Doc_Floyd wrote: Fourth, the single remaining issue is substantial: The weapon cannot yet be fired, because the loading gate is so incredibly stiff that I can't get cartridges into the magazine. Therefore, I will need either to again tear it down and remove the loading gate, and ever-so-gently relieve some metal from the spring portion (running the risk of removing too much so that Rossi will require the weapon to be returned to them), or finding a lever-action guy in the Houston area who will do the job. The latter is difficult, as other than the major shops, I don't know a cowboy action type gunsmith in Houston (and Port Arthur is a ways away), for whom this task would not be his "first rodeo." I am not pleased with expending more monies on a brand new weapon.
The Rio Grande is a much more user friendly firearm to work on than the 92.
Trial & error is the only way to get the loading gate spring tension right.
Take a little metal off the loading gate spring and reassemble & try loading dummy ammo (DON'T load live ammo unless you're at the range and the gun is pointed in a safe direction) until the loading gate is loose enough to permit easy loading of ammo.
I used a round file and held the gate spring in a padded vice clamp.
You might have to take the spring out and remove a little metal from the inside or curved side of the flat spring at a time several times until the tension feels right and you can load ammo easily.
Be very careful.....don't remove too much.
Take your time.....if you try and do a rush job you increase your chance of making mistakes.
Last edited by pricedo on 03 Apr 2013 11:16, edited 2 times in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Doc_Floyd

Post by Doc_Floyd »

Thanks - also for the clarification, as some had suggested relieving the inside or curved portion of the loading gate spring, rather that both sides...
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Doc_Floyd wrote:Thanks - also for the clarification, as some had suggested relieving the inside or curved portion of the loading gate spring, rather that both sides...
Your right........ME STUPID !........it's been quite a while since I did one.
I confused it with the trigger return spring on a 92 that I was working on a coupla weeks ago.
Good thing you caught that before someone got led astray.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
fairchildfarms

Post by fairchildfarms »

Try opening the action just a little, then try loading the tube, if it loads easily like mine did, it has nothing to do with the spring tension. The loading gate is bottoming out on the lever when fully locked. I beveled the forward edge of the lever with a file and a 10 yr old can load this rifle with ease. This is what I found with my particular rifle anyways. Hope this helps, Mike

DIYRG