New Braziltech R92 Stainless .357 Receiver Mark/Fix? (PICS)

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
hutch

New Braziltech R92 Stainless .357 Receiver Mark/Fix? (PICS)

Post by hutch »

Hi gang,

Now that I have this R92 stainless .357 running like a raped ape, I'd like to address a couple of other less pressing, non-mechanical issues. Interested in any sage advise from Rossi Rifleman. Hate to ask for more advice, but you guys are GOOD! I'm sure you can save me some frustration.

1st: - Cleaning up the stainless on the right side of the receiver. From the pic attached, you'll see a semi-circular 'swirl' on the receiver. The mark came out pretty well in the pic. It extends a full 3.5 inches in a perfect semicircle from the bottom, up over the load gate and back down. It didn't really bother me when I bought this R92 at a gun show. I kinda assumed it would rub out in my initial cleaning. I know - operative word "assumed". Thought it was likely something laid on it at the factory, or dried Rossi grease. Nope & it will not rub out. It actually seems to be a swirl of brighter stainless, however I can faintly see the "grain" of the stainless brushing beneath it. The swirl is actually a bit brighter stainless. The remainder is a bit less shiny. Almost looks like it is a slightly satin finish and this is a single rainbow that isn't "brushed". It does look like a machine mark of some kind. Even under heavy magnification, there is no distortion or mar in the stainless. It appears entirely superficial. You can make this out pretty well in the pic. Have any of you ever seen anything like this? Probably left the factory this way I'd guess. It's a 2013 rifle, says the Rossi serial number look up. I hate to touch up stainless. Every time I've tried I made it worse, or unnatural looking. But maybe doing an entire side of the receiver would be OK, IF I can match the other side somehow. Refinishing stainless is lots easier than bluing, but still can be tricky to not "bubba" it. Any ideas or tricks you guys have used for that "factory" look??

2nd: - While I was working on getting this R92 running right mechanically, Xshot had suggested to me "Now that you ready to shoot, get ready to work over forearm wood, barrel bands and magazine tube screw. Once the binding is relieved the overall accuracy and repeatability of followup shots - warm/hot barrel - greatly improves." I've read about barrel band tightness and the mag tube screw putting pressure on the barrel. I have a 6BR benchrest/varmint rifle and am somewhat familiar with how barrel pressure can effect barrel dynamics & accuracy. But I'm clueless to fixing that possible issue on either this Rossi R92 or my Marlin' lever guns. How do you "relieve" that pressure, so the barrel isn 't thrown out of whack by the barrel band, mag tube band, etc??

- hutch
Rossi R92 Receiver Mark.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New Braziltech R92 Stainless .357 Receiver Mark/Fix? (PI

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry to see the marking on your rifle the good thing is it is stainless so you could polish it out but you need to do it in small steps untill you are happy with it. My vaqeuro was pretty crappy looking new I got a good price because of this and new I could polish it up and did she looks good now and I am happy with her. Mother mag and wheel polish does wonder on stainless.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I would be tempted to use Scotch Bright, it comes in different levels of abrasiveness so you can shine it up to match what is already there by using the right level. The good news is you have a stainless gun and not having to deal with something like this on a blued one..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
hutch

Re: PIC's/IDEAS? New Braziltech R92 Stainless .357 Receiver

Post by hutch »

Arktikos wrote:I would be tempted to use Scotch Bright, it comes in different levels of abrasiveness so you can shine it up to match what is already there by using the right level. The good news is you have a stainless gun and not having to deal with something like this on a blued one..
K - I tried Mother's Mag, Simi Chrome AND Flitz. Several applications didn't even touch that semi-circular mar. So Holy abrasive Batman, I got out the wet/dry sandpaper. Carefully using 1000 grit I went over the side with the mar. The other side is perfect. It did dull it up a bit but as soon as I polished, it hadn't changed at all. Decided to run the full gamut and refinish the stainless on that side. 320 grit oiled, followed by 500 followed by 1000. Looked like it got most of it . . . until I polished again. Nope. Seemed to put a dent in it but barely. Did it AGAIN. Much more aggressively. Really sanded hard with the 320 and worked hard with the 500 & 1000 to return to the "factory" brushed look. Actually a little bit finer grain than original.

So look at these pic's and you can see it didn't do much. It's a little prettier, and a lot shinier, but that semicircle is still there and a bit distracting. Almost seems like that shiny semicircle is imbedded in the stainless. It's not a stain, it's a tool mark of some kind. Bet I'd have to grind off .001 or more to get down past it, and don't know if I wanna do that. To do it right would probably require more tools that I have on hand. At least a band table sander right? Would you guys mess with it further or leave it alone? Nothing terribly wrong with a resurrected Painted Lady, with a slightly noticeable scar on her right cheek (he's telling himself).

Comments or ideas are most welcome.

- hutch
Rossi R92 Receiver Mark.jpg
Rossi R92 Receiver 2.jpg
Rossi R92 Receiver 2a.jpg
Rossi R92 Receiver 2b.jpg
Rossi R92 Receiver 2c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The hogs will never know the difference. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Well that is kinda strange. Can't tell from the photos if there is an actual indent in the steel or if it is something in the metal itself, some sort of imperfection that no amount of sanding and polishing will ever get out. Well one things for sure it isn't going anywhere and you can always work on it whenever the thought of it starts to bug you, but I'm with pricedo on this, the hogs will never know the difference!
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
hutch

Post by hutch »

Arktikos wrote:Well that is kinda strange. Can't tell from the photos if there is an actual indent in the steel or if it is something in the metal itself, some sort of imperfection that no amount of sanding and polishing will ever get out. Well one things for sure it isn't going anywhere and you can always work on it whenever the thought of it starts to bug you, but I'm with pricedo on this, the hogs will never know the difference!
TX for the response Artktikos. Yeah - it is odd. Probably why I was able to pick it up NIB for $425. No indention. The more I think about it I bet its from whatever tool they use to finish the stainless. The diameter of the semi circle is very close to the length of the flat of the receiver. The receiver probably runs under a tool that does the grinding for the final finish and it musta stopped on the line and "polished" that ring into place. The highlight you see is super bright stainless. The grain is fairly deep and runs top to bottom. I suspect if the spirit ever moves me I can just take the stainless down a little further and finish very bright, or rougher. A buddy of mine has a fab shop and I'm sure he has a tool that will do the deed.

- hutch