Any sign that the supply chain is catching up with demand?

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Any sign that the supply chain is catching up with deman

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:Looks like Browning discontinued the BLR in 450 Marlin.
I'll hang on to it for a while.
An obsolete gun in an almost obsolete caliber sounds like a great investment. :lol:
It is a real shame that the 450 never received the recognition that it deserved. I always felt that the belted rimless case was far superior in feed to the 45-70 in the 1895. That is something that would be very important to me if I was using the cartridge for what it was intended for. I think you made a very good choice in the BLR.
The Marlin 1895M you sold isn't made anymore either & I don't think it will ever be resurrected as a production rifle by Remlin.
There is just not enough interest in the 450 Marlin cause the venerable & ubiquitous 45-70 has overlapped & eclipsed it in functionality.
The 450 Marlin BLR I bought hung around the store for a coupla years and I got it on the cheap cause the store manager wanted to see the last of it.
If the rumor of the demise of the BLR 450 Marlin is true then the caliber is on its last flicker before obsolescence.
Hornady/Marlin doomed the caliber to extinction with the proprietary belt.
They would have been better advised to use the 458 x 2" or the 458 Short or 458 American as the host cartridge for the then on the drawing board Marlin 1895M.
458 Short/American cases can be made by shortening 458 Winchester Magnum cases because of the proprietary wide belt.
450 Marlin brass cannot be made from any other case.
I can't imagine Hornady continuing to manufacture the 450 Marlin ammo for much longer and no other company makes it.
I stockpiled 800 factory rounds of 450 Marlin ammo & won't run out in this lifetime.
The 450 Marlin is a smoother cycling action than the 45-70 because it is rimless.
That BLR 450 Marlin is without a doubt a levergunners dream come true in regards to action cycling smoothness.
Too bad the 450 Marlin will soon be RIP.
If you have a 450 Marlin firearm & plan on keeping it I'd advise stockpiling some factory ammo while it is still made.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

pricedo wrote:...I do my practice shooting with handguns & rifles in 22LR (still lots of 22LR ammo around)......same technique & skills being honed a lot cheaper than firing CF...
Speaking of practicing with a 22LR, just as a point of interest, the Henry lever action 22LR, youth model, has almost the same dimensions (length of pull, overall length, etc.) as the Rossi model 92 with the 16 inch barrel.

This makes a good match for using the Henry for practice in place of the Rossi.

Both the Henry youth model and the Rossie model 92 with the 16 inch barrel are a little smaller (e.g. length of pull) than the other models in their respective lines. I am guessing that the regular size Henry lever action 22 probably has similar dimensions to the Rossi model 92 with a longer barrel.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

massmanute wrote: am guessing that the regular size Henry lever action 22 probably has similar dimensions to the Rossi model 92 with a longer barrel.
True, when I lay my Henry frontier on top of my 20" Rossi 92 the dimensions and drop angle are for all practical purposes identical.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Not sure anyone can answer that question with any certainty. I suspect it will take some time before you can walk into a store and see stocked shelves. If the mental midgets in Washington would just keep their mouth shut I believe it would settle down faster.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Not sure anyone can answer that question with any certainty. I suspect it will take some time before you can walk into a store and see stocked shelves. If the mental midgets in Washington would just keep their mouth shut I believe it would settle down faster.
Billary, Obama, Feinstein with their anti-democratic bullying, scapegoating the law abiding for the acts of crooks & crazies, threats and scare tactics have unwittingly created at least two guns & ammo buying booms in recent American history that have filled the cash registers of gun & accessories manufacturers and dealers. :mrgreen:
Ironically, businesses that might otherwise have gone under owe their salvation to the Democrats.
A couple of dealers I know jokingly quipped they might vote Democrat next election. :mrgreen:
The shelf and rack dwell time for guns and ammo is in hours and fractions thereof not days or weeks. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA