Break in suggestions?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Break in suggestions?

Post by pricedo »

My gunsmith who has been in the business a whole lot of years checked those 2 guns (1895G, 1895GS) over pretty good and he's going to get them again pretty soon to check for cracks, perforations, etc. in that critical area where the barrel joins the receiver which is the Achilles Heel of the 1895s.
I've put some pretty heavy loads through those 2 Remlins and if they were going to pop they probably would have done so by now.
I don't hear a lot of internet chatter about Remlin 1895s bursting in any great numbers and we all know guys who load em pretty heavy.
The 1895 photo from the Marlin forum which I reproduced on this forum looked like somebody really packed the cartridge cases with a faster burning rifle powder like RL7 or one of the 4198s.
That's a pretty catastrophic burst involving the whole receiver.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
My gunsmith who has been in the business a whole lot of years checked those 2 guns (1895G, 1895GS) over pretty good and he's going to get them again pretty soon to check for cracks, perforations, etc. in that critical area where the barrel joins the receiver which is the Achilles Heel of the 1895s.
I've put some pretty heavy loads through those 2 Remlins and if they were going to pop they probably would have done so by now.
I don't hear a lot of internet chatter about Remlin 1895s bursting in any great numbers and we all know guys who load em pretty heavy.
The 1895 photo from the Marlin forum which I reproduced on this forum looked like somebody really packed the cartridge cases with a faster burning rifle powder like RL7 or one of the 4198s.
That's a pretty catastrophic burst involving the whole receiver.
Sadly there is no gunsmith here in town so I took 10 minutes to remove 3 screws and pull the arm and tube off to check my JM over. No visible cracks, no other weirdness like many of the Remlin photos of grinder marks, holes where the barrel threads were exposed, and the one where it looked like the factory hit the area with an tig welder..

As for that blown receiver, my money is on someone accidently loading up powder from the wrong bottle, perhaps mistaking a fast pistol powder or could be kids screwing around with the powder.. Either that or they were loading Unique or something that has room for a double charge. Regardless it is pretty frightening and a good reminder to always, like everything else with firearms, use a lot of caution, no second chances and a very "bad day" always awaits those who don't.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I'll pull the forearm off and do it myself in good ole Rossi Rifleman tradition...........$50 the gunsmith won't be getting. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA