LSWC's in M92

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

LSWC's in M92

Post by mr surveyor »

Just wondering about the long term in stocking up on boolits for the .44 mag M92. I haven't put many rounds through my M92, yet, but the majority have been LSWC's. It does seem to take a bit of "authority" to make them go to full battery, but so far no real problems. I'm sure there's a lot of guys that prefer them jacketed bullets ... but I really like lead. So, any one want to convince me one way or another about stocking up a few thousand LSWC's (also, that's almost all I shoot in a Super Red Hawk too) for the M92?

(oh yeah, I still want some of them RD 250 gr Keith boolits covered in the purty green gator snot dry lube :) )

surv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LSWC's in M92

Post by Ranch Dog »

I 'm sure Carolina Cast will sell you unlubed bullets, then you could apply th "snot".
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

The truncated cone bullets feed really easily in my 2 44 Mag M92s. Any of the RNFP also work OK.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:I 'm sure Carolina Cast will sell you unlubed bullets, then you could apply th "snot".

If I get brave enough to consider tinkering with it, I might give that a try. I don't cast and really don't have the time to spare starting a whole nother "project". If we could still go down to the "service station" and collect their scrap wheel weights for the taking I might actually consider it, but having to scrounge for powder, primers and brass is already more scrounging than I have time for.

BTW, RD, did you ever check into trying the B/B dry lube yourself?

My main question (above) was, and still is whether the LSWC bullet profile in general is well suited for the M92.

surv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:BTW, RD, did you ever check into trying the B/B dry lube yourself?
No, I didn't. I'm good with dipping Lee's Liquid Alox or White Label Lube's Xlox. Even at the heavy rate of shooting I do, I will never run out of lead or lube. I've tried a lot of different lubes but nothing has held up like the Alox has whether it be the little 25 ACP, or any of the high pressure and velocity cartridges I've shot; 219 Zipper, 308 & 338 ME, and the 444 & 450 Marlin. So, I guess everything is settled and I'm not going to through anything new in the mix.
mr surveyor wrote:My main question (above) was, and still is whether the LSWC bullet profile in general is well suited for the M92.
I'm sure it will shoot but my preference is for a tangent or secant ogive bullet nose leading to a large flat point meplat. The tangent or secant ogive should match leade angle so that the bullet is fully supported in the chamber. SWCs can't do that. The might have a front band but with the bore ride SWC there is a lot of airspace between the bullet nose and chamber.

Here is what I described with the tangent or secant ogive...

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor you might take a read through this topic on Cast Boolts: Best Lee mold for Rossi.

These guys are talking about casting their own but it might address your question as the two nose profiles are represented directly.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Thank you. I will check it out.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I can't say anything about anyone else's gun, but my 92 in 357 fed SWC pretty good most of the time when I was using them. My Marlin not so good, so I switched to a RNFP for both of them which did help with the occasional feeding issue in the 92 with SWCs.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR