Carrier question

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Doc_Floyd

Carrier question

Post by Doc_Floyd »

After cycling my RG4570SS some 700 times, it is now fairly smooth. However, it was extremely stiff at the outset and I put a bit of pressure on the lever. Now, I notice that the carrier appears to have one tang on the loading gate side which is half the length of the one on the left. Note that on a 1895 the carrier is u-shaped at the forward end, with tangs of equal length. Did I stupidly break off the tang on my Rossi? I can't seem to remember, but I think they were of equal length. It still seems to feed snap-caps okay, but....And, of course, Rossi would not sell me a carrier were that the case so I would see if I could modify a 336 one...

DIYRG
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Carrier question

Post by Ranch Dog »

Doc, I guess you didn't take a good look at the thread I referenced in your last post. Again, like the lever, the carrier is just exactly like it is supposed to be. It might look like a Marlin on the outside but it is not on the inside. Everything is physically different and he stuff that looks the same lly different.

Did you try the advice Mike offered about the loading gate? If so load the rifle up and shoot it.
Michael
Doc_Floyd

Post by Doc_Floyd »

First, thanks. I did locate the pics and it does, in fact, appear that the rt side tang is a bit shorter. So good, I didn't do one of my usual stupid things.

Second, yep, I am ready to load it up and shoot it - save for trimming a bit off the hammer, as the bolt will not easily close and a person would have to have a lot of adrenalin to slam it closed over the hammer. I have relieved it a bit by polishing but I'll devote some more time to make it smoother. The buckhorn sights are off, the Skinners are on, the butt-stock ammo carrier is threaded in place, and an older, well-worn, leather sling is in place...Now just for the hammer -- ever so carefully. Oh, and the loading gate is stiff as heck, but it works.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Doc_Floyd wrote:Oh, and the loading gate is stiff as heck, but it works.
Have you isolated the issue, it the loading gate itself or is it the gate's contact with the carrier?
Michael
Doc_Floyd

Post by Doc_Floyd »

It is the loading gate spring - I relieved it a bit, but perhaps later I will do some more. Right now it takes considerable effort, but I can get cartridges in the magazine.

Question, however: I have polished, polished, polished, the hammer and it cycles far smoother. However, on the return stroke, if I moved slowly, the contact between the bolt and hammer still has substantial resistance. Should there be any whatsoever? In ordinary use, one is cycling that action firmly and it works fine...but, as I say, were I to go slow, I would almost need to push the hammer down with my thumb to get the bolt to ride over it.