Gun accessories - leather rifle butt stock covers

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Gun accessories - leather rifle butt stock covers

Post by runfiverun »

i had a leather pad made up for my 44 mag 92.
i just thought they looked cool but it definatly takes some of the bite out of the curved butt plate.
they would add a little length of pull to a cabine also.
i had mine made by whyte leather works in california.
i'll have to check out this other websight too.
a little leather work and some minimal lettering or some border work adds a lot to the rifle.
a couple of cartridge loops would be pretty cool too.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The covers are a way of putting a recoil pad on a heavy kicking frontier-period gun while preserving (actually enhancing) the legacy look.
You can't see the thick rubber recoil pad on my 92/454C........it looks a lot better now.......that thing (the pad) was an period-incorrect eyesore that bugged me every time I looked at the rifle.
I think those plastic foam pads some people stick on the butt stock comb of their 92s look terrible but I understand why they are there especially on the 454s & 480s.
I doubt if Rooster Cogburn had a Pachmayr pad on his 92.
I have long arms & my carbines could do with a little longer LOP and the thick leather cover cushions the comb and covers that wickedly hard & sharp steel butt plate.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

pricedo wrote:Got a couple of really well made leather butt covers with cartridge loops in today from Jon Klein of East Leroy, MI for my Pedersoli 86/71 and my 1895G Guide Gun.
Definitely not Jon's first day making leather shooting accessories........GOOD JOB !! :D
Excellent work at a very reasonable cost.
I'll definitely be ordering some more of Jon's beautiful leather butt covers for my other leverguns.

It would be nice to have another category "Shooting Accessories" on the Board Index for slings & hardware, top mounted carry handles, butt stock covers, flashlight attachments, flash suppressors, receiver and butt mounted cartridge/shell holders, shooting bi-pods, you name it.
I ordered a cover from Jon a few weeks ago...what a great guy.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jon included a strip of leather about 6" long & the size of a shoe lace with 1 of the covers and I used it to braid wrap around the outside steel loop of the finger lever as I've seen in pictures of 92s on the internet.
It looks great and also helps shield the fingers from "knuckle rap" when you're firing the heavier 454 loads.
The Hornady 240 grain XTP ammo I use is "up there" in horsepower & it's best to hold onto the gun & your hat when using it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
scottz

Post by scottz »

What was the delivery time on your order? His eBay ads say to expect a 40 day delivery.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

scottz wrote:What was the delivery time on your order? His eBay ads say to expect a 40 day delivery.
About 2 weeks. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA