Dove tails

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Sturlo

Dove tails

Post by Sturlo »

Hi folks, I just joined the forum, thank you!
I've been researching the Rossi 92 and discovered a few interesting things. Specifically, the "Citadel" and "G-Force" rifles are essentially the same thing from the same Brazilian factory but have slightly different options and names. The G-force with 20" barrel appears to be the more traditional-looking whereas the Citadel with all sorts of m-lok surfaces and 16" barrel, appears to be intended more for gun running and tac stuff. I've only seen photos on line with no real detail but I prefer the traditional look ... and I do have a question: does the Rossi 92 receiver come equipped with dovetails to mount rings and scope? Or is it drilled/tapped for same purpose? Or is totally old-school with no provision for optic mounting at all? That's how it's starting to look to me. Thanks.
JRexA

Re: Dove tails

Post by JRexA »

New R92's should be drilled and tapped on the barrel, for a Scope Mount.

Here is an article about it: https://gunsmagazine.com/guns/rifles/rossi-r92-re-do/
They talk about the Skinner SSR Rail.

NOE Bullet moulds is another source, for a Rossi Scope Mount.
https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product ... pe-mounts/
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

Like the Winchester 92 it's patterned after, the R92 has no provision for mounting a 'carry handle' on the receiver as most who buy the traditional rifle design don't want one on it. I have 2, a 20" carbine and a 24" rifle and the rifle length has 2 taped holes under the rear sight to mount a small rail, however, I've not seen many who use it. Many like I, mount a tang sight instead.
Sturlo

Post by Sturlo »

Thank you.
Sturlo

Post by Sturlo »

Thank you.
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

Oher options are a Lyman no. 21 Replica
https://762precision.com/product-review ... -21-sight/

Or a Lyman/Williams Receiver sight.

You can find most of those at Buffallo Arms.
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex
Sturlo

Post by Sturlo »

JRexA wrote: 27 May 2024 11:39 Oher options are a Lyman no. 21 Replica
https://762precision.com/product-review ... -21-sight/

Or a Lyman/Williams Receiver sight.

You can find most of those at Buffallo Arms.
Many US companies cannot or will not ship to Canada.
Sturlo

Post by Sturlo »

COSteve wrote: 27 May 2024 10:37 Like the Winchester 92 it's patterned after, the R92 has no provision for mounting a 'carry handle' on the receiver as most who buy the traditional rifle design don't want one on it. I have 2, a 20" carbine and a 24" rifle and the rifle length has 2 taped holes under the rear sight to mount a small rail, however, I've not seen many who use it. Many like I, mount a tang sight instead.
One of the brands made by Brazco is "G-Force" arms. I contacted a local Canadian vendor about optic mounting etc. & they sent a photo of what's under something else. I don't own one yet so I don't know what's covering what but here's the pic. It's of a 20" barrel and shows a dovetail along with two tapped holes, as you mentioned, not on receiver but on barrel. I believe this is where pic rail goes on their various "tactical" models. I don't particularly want a front-mounted (scout) scope. If I knew how to easily post the photo, I would...
But I wonder if these holes or the notch could be utilized for standard optic mounting? Like maybe something cantilevered or extended somewhat back towards the eye? Frankly, I don't know what a "tang sight" is. A link or pic would be useful...Which brand/ model tang sight are you referring to?Image
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

A tang sight mounts on the tang of the receiver behind the hammer. It both gives you a longer sight radius and as it's a small aperture close to your eye, it increases your Depth of Field. Here is a link to one at MidwayUSA specifically for a Rossi levergun.

Marbles Tang Sight at MidwayUSA
Sturlo

Post by Sturlo »

Ah-ha! Thanks. That picture's worth a thousand words....