Rossi R92 Triple Black 357 barrel canted to the left

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tallboy723

Rossi R92 Triple Black 357 barrel canted to the left

Post by Tallboy723 »

Hello.

Just purchased 12/2/2023 a Rossi R92 Triple Black 357 and notice the barrel is cocked/canted to the left ever so slightly. It’s at the 11:58 mark. The picatinny rail and both sights are all cocked to the left in the same manner. I thought I’d reach out to you folks with Rossi experience and see what you all think. I haven’t even shot the gun yet.

I did send Rossi US an email to see what should be done. I sent that 1/5. So of course haven’t heard back. I’ll post more when I hear back.
I think tomorrow I will call their warranty number tomorrow to get things moving.
IMG_2877.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tallboy723

Re: Rossi R92 Triple Black 357 barrel canted to the left

Post by Tallboy723 »

For those interested, I reached out to Rossi and after being on hold for 15-20 min someone answered. I made mention of my problem for which the lady came back on after a brief hold, and said to reference my manual for adjusting my sights. LOL. She didn’t quite understand my problem. I was able to email a pic and that’s when things got moving. We communicated via email the rest of the way. I provided information she requested and she told me it’s a 4 week turnaround. No biggie. They sent an email with service order number to reference and prepaid shipping label. I mailed it this evening. So far so good with Rossi CS. We shall see about the fix. Finger crossed. +guns
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

That's terrible! At least you are getting it taken care of. Keep us informed as to how you make out!

Oh, and.... Welcome aboard from Western Kentucky!!
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
Tallboy723

Post by Tallboy723 »

Update. It’s been a month since I shipped my Rossi R92 for repair. I called today to get more info. They have ordered a new barrel as of Jan 22 and have not received it yet to install. They couldn’t tell me how much longer it would be. I hope it won’t be another month.
COSteve

Post by COSteve »

I don't understand it. The whole CS side of business has gone down hill everywhere. Quality control as well. Since Covid it all most seems like no one cares to work or if working they don't care about quality.

Canted barrels are now commonplace in Rossis, Rugers, Smith and Wessons, even Winchesters. Compare that to my 2009 era Rossis (a 20" carbine and 24" rifle, both in .357) where both came from the factory mechanically great.

Both of them fed both 38spl and 357mag handloads as delivered and both are very accurate, even out at 200 yds with improved sights of course (tang and globe on the rifle and Steve's rear safety replacement peep sight on the carbine).

All I've done to them was follow Steve's Gunz slickup video and installed his parts and they have been wonderful with not an issue save a broken ejector after about 6K rds on the rifle. I got a replacement (and a couple of spares) from Steve and installed it with no issues.
bluetick

Post by bluetick »

The deterioration of service standards has been decades in the making. Worse, our manufacturing standards have declined as well. From an improperly positioned firearm barrel to an airliner delivered sans its door-plug bolts. Why doesn't Beretta have these problems? Or Davide Pedersoli, or CZ? Why doesn't Airbus have these deficiencies? These are questions that require a hard introspection on our parts as a society. Because the fact is, we are no longer a serious people.
"Staan vas en hou jou lyn. Dis hier waar ons hulle kan keer!"
bluetick

Post by bluetick »

And yes, I'm aware that Rossi is Brazilian made. But they are assembled right here.
"Staan vas en hou jou lyn. Dis hier waar ons hulle kan keer!"
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

bluetick wrote: 01 Mar 2024 07:29 But they are assembled right here.
Never heard that before.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

I never have heard anything, anywhere on any gun forums, about Rossi Rifles being assembled here in the USA.
My take on canted sights is, Threaded portion of BBl is to short, or receiver being threaded a little to long, allowing BBL to be screwed in too far. The most common fault for canted sights on a BBL is a dove tale that was not put in squarely on the top of a BBL.
So I think the BBL was either screwed in to far, or the dove tale is off to the side.

Dave
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Today a range visitor presented me with an R92 displaying then same problem as yours. The front sight was not vertical or "clocked at 12:00 o'clock position." It was "canted left" similar to those displayed in your photo. I inspected his rifle and also observed that the ejector cuts at the bottom rear of the chamber mouth were not clocked at the 06:00 o'clock position. They were "canted right". At first and in total these details suggest that the barrel was not properly torqued into the receiver. At worst the barrel shoulder was not properly timed to the threads on the barrel extension.
Normally, and as a "general rule of thumb" when a barrel is attached to the receiver the barrel is screwed in as tight as you can get it "hand tight". The front sight (or reference mark) should then be sitting approximately 10 degrees before TDC. When the proper amount of torque is then applied, the sight should then be sitting vertical at the 12:o'clock position. If the front sight is at less than the 12:00 o'clock you would break it loose and retorque (paying attention to avoid "thread choke of the barrel extension".) If the sight goes beyond the 12:00 o'clock position after torquing, you'll need to calculate the tread timing and do some lathe work to set the barrel shoulder back to "get your ducks in a row".