Spree...

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Spree...

Post by Archer »

I will have to swap out the flash hider for a muzzle brake before assembly and use a finned grip instead of or a fin wrap in addition to the pistol grip plus either block out the adjustable stock or swap it out with a fixed stock.

I've got the muzzle brake and the fin and as I plan on swapping out the MIL style furniture with MagPul that takes care of the stock.

I should still come in under $700 not counting an optic if I chose to add one.

I may in the future add a ambi safety and upgraded charging handle.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love the radian raptor I have its first time I've ever went flashy on my ar15 lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I used to use the Bravo Company (BCM) extended charging handle but since they redesigned them I have not tried them.
I have a couple of the Radian Raptor charging handles in the large format and one or more for the small receivers and they have become my go to when upgrading.

VG6 Precision Gamma brake has become my go to on muzzle devices for .308, 5.56 and 6.5/.243 on ARs.
(Flash hiders are not allowed on a featureless gun in CA. My second choice for changing out the muzzle device is usually a KAK Comp as they are inexpensive.)

I like an ambi selector, either the Battle Arms or I am starting to like the variation where a standard selector is modified to add a short lever onthe RHS. Several companies are starting to do that and it has the advantage that the selector barrel and the LHS lever are still a single part although it doesn't 'look as cool.' The ambi selectors are almost a requirement on a CA legal featureless AR.

I don't usually try to 'go flashy' on the ARs but I do like a few changes from old school mil-spec.
One of my friends kept trying to convince me I needed to add more stuff like the MagPul BAD lever but some of that I don't really want to get used to and then be fumbling around with a gun that doesn't have it.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have had the PSA together for a couple months but I still need to add an optic of some sort and maybe a backup rear sight.

I have the upper 90% together for the MEGA MA10 with the .243 Extra Heavy barrel. In fact I'm actually thinking it might be a bit too darned heavy. I have the parts together for the .308 upper but I need to shim the barrel installation for the barrel nut timing on the handguard. I have two other handguards that are supposed to be identical so I might break them out and see if they time any different before I drop back to shims.

Last year picked up the Vaquero and the grips MUST change since they are the super slim ones that I can't believe ANYONE actually likes.

I also picked up the .22 WMR New Single Six. I sort of want to get a .22 LR cylinder for it but I don't want to spend the money on it right this minute.

Have a convertible SS Single Six that should come home soon. The only reason I bought it was because I wanted to annoy our man GasGuzzler. Well that and it was going for a price that would almost be reasonable outside of CA. It also has those idiotic slim grips though so getting some real grips on the gun will be a must.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A while back, close to the middle of last year, I had made a Bolt action .308 heavy barrel impulse buy.
I finally got around to putting a scope on it with a Warne rail and a set of Warne rings.
I think I might have gotten away with LOW rings instead of MEDIUM but at least for the moment I'm going to let it be as is. It seems to come to the shoulder and eye pretty well as is.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Hahaha

My Single Six is 55 years old and in brand new condition with a box ... from back before Ruger made stainless. Guess what? Walnut grips. Yep. None of those goofy rubber baby bumper Pachmayr or Hogue thingies here. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The WMR I picked up is one of the NEW Single Sixs but it is from quite some time ago blued and came with what are probably walnut grips.

The one I haven't got yet is SS with the current thin profile wood grips Ruger is using.
I am not certain what wood they are. (same thing for the Vaquero except it is the pimped out CCH model not SS that I mentioned back around the time I agreed to buy it.)

I don't think Hogue is going to be the option I want on these guns. I certainly am not going to put a rubber grip on a SA Ruger.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Got my Single Six Convertible. I should have been able to pick it up two days ago but the virus has everything messed up. Apparently the government decided to close all gunshops but probably decided they didn't want to get a class action lawsuit for the background check fees that would be required to be paid again if people didn't get their firearms in a timely fashion.

The grips on this one are NOT as bad as the ones on my Vaquero. They are slightly narrow toward the middle but not as wasp wasted as the ones on the .357. I think the frame is also a sixteenth of an inch wider and it has the extra 1/8th inch front to back. Both of those help make it more comfortable.

I went to the range yesterday with the Vaquero, the WMR blued single six and a Buckmark.
I also took a Henry in .22 S/L/LR, a Winchester 9422M and my Rossi 92 .357 20" RB.

The WMR worked well although after a few cylinders you had to push the cartridges a little harder to fully seat them in the recesses in the cylinder.

The Buckmark was EXCELLENT as usual.

Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack .22LR was less than stellar. I had two failures to fire with the Buckmark one of which fired on reindexing and one of which hit the dirt was was NOT reinserted into the gun. I had one failure to fire with the Henry that fired on reindexing.

The sights on the Henry needed to be adjusted a bit. Hits at 50 yards were a bit low left.
Same deal on the Winchester except hits were a bit high and right.

The Rossi was pretty close to dead on to where I was aiming.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I learned before the obomination times to NOT buy the bricks of Rem Golden Bullets. The only guns I could make them reliable (not necessarily accurate) in were revolvers … and you still had to physically push about 10-15% of them into the chambers. The danged bullet heads on a whole lot of them seem to be seated 5° out of plumb. And at least 1-2% seemed to have bad primer compound.

Pre "Zero" years I shot two to three bricks of .22 a month, along with all the other calibers, and really don't remember having a lot of ammo related issues with .22 rounds. I just remember that about the time "thu wun" was elected that the Rem GB's just absolutely became crap in my guns. When the hording of the former years was in full swing and I had started re-loading, I didn't buy another round of .22 until early this year. Still have a couple of bricks with +/- $15 price tags stuck back in a closet. Some day I need to get the .22 stuff out for a range day :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I agree that LOTS of ammo went downhill during the Obama years.
Remington Golden Bullets were never great but during those years problems increased. I'm not sure when this bulk box was produced. I haven't bought any of it in years.

My first .22 LR was an Iver Johnson M122 that was ok but taught me about .22 LR feeding and ignition problems. My second was a Ruger MKII that ate any kind of ammo without fail.

The Buckmark is probably not broken in good as it may only have several hundred rounds through it. It is a little ammo picky.

The Henry normally has ZERO problems.

I'm blaming the RBG ammo.