Need help, R92 lever and action stuck in battery

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
peterthomas

Need help, R92 lever and action stuck in battery

Post by peterthomas »

I haven’t seen this problem searching this site yet, so here goes.

I took down my R92 for a deep clean and the upon inserting the lever for reassembly and closing the action the whole rifle jammed up. The action is stuck shut on an empty case of 38 special and the lever is immobile. It will move towards the tang but I cannot move it to unlock the action. I have tried hammering in the pin that connects the bolt and lever and nothing. I have tried removing it and nothing. I have tried to remove the lever itself but it is completely stuck in the action and will not budge. The bolt is also completely stuck in battery.

The loading ramp isn’t blocking it because it is mobile
in the action with a but of fiddling.

The action went together normally with no unusual resistance.

I really am at a loss and have no idea what to do. I am new to these rifles but I did not think I would have this much trouble simply reassembling it.

It is with a very well-respected gunsmith who is local to my area and he is stumped.

Just to clarify everything, the gun is totally taken down except for the bolt assembly, lever, and feeding ramp. The lever will not come out the way it went in and the bolt is totally stuck in battery. The locking lugs will not lower but they will go slightly higher.

Any input is appreciated.
Nashville Stage

Re: Need help, R92 lever and action stuck in battery

Post by Nashville Stage »

Another member recently had a similar problem. Take a look here: https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6521

Several possible causes were discussed, and the problem was determined to be a couple of loose pins toward the end.

This might or might not be related to your problem, but it's worth looking through the thread for ideas.
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

welcome to the forum. good luck with your remedy. the 92's are worth the effort. post pics of the problem area when you get it back form the gunsmith.
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

did it get fixed?
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Hi PeterThomas,

I'm the OP of the thread Nashville Stage gave the link to. I hope you get it fixed soon. I was pretty discouraged when my 92 locked up. When I went through my adventure I speculated a couple other possibilities (it's usually the pin that connects the lever to the bolt) but it turned out to be the ejector spring stop pins. Mine were loose and hit up against the left guide jamming the works. Here's the same picture I posted in the other thread that shows the pins:
ejector pins.jpg
The knurled ends of the pins are on the left side of the receiver (at least on mine) so you might try hitting the loading gate side of the receiver with a rubber mallet to knock the pins back into the bolt just enough to free the action, I had to resort to removing the screw that retains the left guide. When the guide moved a bit it allowed the lever to open enough that I could remove the lug screw and lugs followed by ramp and then removal of the left guide allowing the action to open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterthomas

Post by peterthomas »

It is still not fixed. Thanks 73gitane, I will be sure to try that when I am off of work. I have a video of the problem that I need to post here. Just need to upload it somewhere first.
peterthomas

Post by peterthomas »

I have tried the mallet and removing the screw to the left side guide. No dice. It also stumped a second gunsmith. I am thinking this needs to go back to the factory but Braztech didn't pick up the phone after 30 minutes today and I doubt they would get the rifle back to me in time as I leave for military service in early April. If anyone thinks they can fix this thing, wants to deal with Braztech, or just wants the spare parts, let me know and I will sell it to you on the cheap.

Other suggestions to fix it are welcome.
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

i sent an email to you, thanks
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

You said that you had some video of the problem; YouTube would probably be the easiest way to share that with the group here.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

where are you at in Utah?
I might be interested in the rifle if we can do a FTF.